POL128 Part I-2.docx

1 Page
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
Politics and Public Administration
POL 128
Joseph Zboralski

POL128 Part I - 2: Media - Facts upon which we form our ideas and judgements concerning them is based on third hand information - Third hand as in we are not personally witness to the action or occurrence covered in the story. Its what the reporter shapes the story Pictures in Our Heads - Media creators play a role in our social learning ie the process of acquiring knowledge, values and beliefs about the world and ourselves - Propaganda What do the Media Produce? - Small portion of tv and radio time devoted to public affairs - Rest aims to entertain rather than inform - CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commissions) What determines the mass media product? Economic filter – mass media privately owned - must be able to sell a product that will attract enough subscribers, advertisers, buyers or patrons the exact source of revenue depends on the media product to cover production cost and usually earn a competitive return on inve
More Less

Related notes for POL 128

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.