POL128 Part I - 2: Media
- Facts upon which we form our ideas and judgements concerning them is based on third
- Third hand as in we are not personally witness to the action or occurrence covered in the
story. Its what the reporter shapes the story
Pictures in Our Heads
- Media creators play a role in our social learning ie the process of acquiring knowledge,
values and beliefs about the world and ourselves
What do the Media Produce?
- Small portion of tv and radio time devoted to public affairs
- Rest aims to entertain rather than inform
- CRTC (Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commissions)
What determines the mass media product?
Economic filter – mass media privately owned
- must be able to sell a product that will attract enough subscribers, advertisers,
buyers or patrons the exact source of revenue depends on the media product to cover
production cost and usually earn a competitive return on inve