Introducing Psychology Chapter 12

3 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY 105
Professor
Kristin Vickers

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
CHAPTER 12
-Psychological disorders: Disorders reflecting abnormalities of the mind
-thoughts, feelings, emotions, must be persistent, harmful to the person experiencing them, and
uncontrollable
-40% of people will develop some type of psychological disorder during the course of their lives
-Medical Model: conceptualization of psychological disorders as diseases that have symptoms, causes,
and cures
-symptom, syndrome, diagnosis (1st step)
-v}v}ooo]Zl}À}v[u]v
-Statistical deviance Ærare condition, 1/many people, 40% of north americans with struggle with
abnormal psychology
-Cultural devianceÆ if you are not consistent with what is normal with your culture; looks can be
deceiving
-Emotional distress Æ
-DysfunctionÆ their life quality is impaired
INSANITY
-Insanity:a legal term in the United States defined as inability to understand that certain actions are
wrong at the time of a crime (Canadian: ^v}]u]vooÇ}v]o}v}µv}(uvo]}_)
-99.9% of people with psychological disorder is not insane
-Biological criteria that develops psychological disorderÆ 40% belieÀ]]Z}v[(µo
IMPLICATIONS OF MEDICAL MODEL
- weare all vulnerable to psychological disorders, just as we are to biological diseases
- Psychological disorders can in some cases be prevented by intervening on risk factors
- Psychological disorders can be successfully treated
CLASSIFICATION OF MENTAL DISORDERS
-DSM-IV-TR: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition, text revision, published
by the American Psychiatric Association
-used for the diagnosis and classification of psychological disorders to give objective,
measurable criteria for diagnosing disorders
-Culturally related disorders are in an appendix
-AxisÆ rating dimension; involve a wide range of factors including medical history, functioning in daily
life
-Axis I: Psychological disorders; e.g. schizophrenia
-Axis II: Personality disorders or mental retardation (life long, persists for entire life); e.g. Schizotypal
personality disorder
-Axis III: General Medical Conditions: e.g. hypothyroidism-too little activity in ones thyroid gland; slows
down metabolism and moody (appears to be like depression), can be treated by given thyroid
hormones. Or diabetes.
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CHAPTER 12 -Psychological disorders: Disorders reflecting abnormalities of the mind -thoughts, feelings, emotions, must be persistent, harmful to the person experiencing them, and uncontrollable -40% of people will develop some type of psychological disorder during the course of their lives -Medical Model: conceptualization of psychological disorders as diseases that have symptoms, causes, and cures st -symptom, syndrome, diagnosis (1 step) -L }LšŒ}ooo]ZZšZššlZ}ÀŒ‰ŒZ}L[ZK]L -Statistical deviance Ærare condition, 1/many people, 40% of north americans with struggle with abnormal psychology -Cultural devianceÆ if you are not consistent with what is normal with your culture; looks can be deceiving -Emotional distress Æ -DysfunctionÆ their life quality is impaired INSANITY -Insanity:a legal term in the United States defined as inability to understand that certain actions are wrong at the time of a crime (Canadian: ^L}š Œ]K]LooÇŒZ‰}LZ]o}L }µLš}KLšo]Z}ŒŒ_) -99.9% of people with psychological disorder is not insane -Biological criteria that develops psychological disorderÆ 40% belieÀ]š]ZšZ‰ŒZ}L[Zµoš IMPLICATIONS OF MEDICAL MODEL - weare all vulnerable to psychological disorders, just as we are to biological diseases - Psychological disorders can in some cases be prevented by intervening on risk factors - Psychological disorders can be successfully treated CLASSIFICATION OF MENTAL DISORDERS th -DSM-IV-TR: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4 edition, text revision, published by the American Psychiatric Association -used for the diagnosis and classification of psychological disorders to give objective, measurable criteria for diagnosing disorders -Culturally related disorders are in an appendix -AxisÆ rating dimension; involve a wide range of factors including medical history, functioning in daily life -Axis I: Psychological disorders; e.g. schizophrenia -Axis II: Personality disorders or mental retardation (life long, persists for entire life); e.g. Schizotypal personality disorder -Axis III: General Medical Conditions: e.g. hypothyroidism-too little activity in ones thyroid gland; slows down metabolism and moody (appears to be like depression), can be treated by given thyroid hormones. Or diabetes. www.notesolution.com -Axis IV: Psychological and environmental problems; e.g. homelessness, divorce, losing jobs -Axis V: Global assessment of functioning scale; scale from 1 to 100 (GAF) used to rate functioning in activities such as school, work, family life (0=does not have enough info to give GAF) -comorbidity: the co-occurrence of two or more disorders in a single individual CAUSES OF PSYCHOLOGICAL DISORDERS -diathesis-stress model: person may be predisposed for a mental disorder that remains unexpressed until triggered by stress. -One has underlined vulnerability (biological), then has a stressful event that triggers -No vulnerabilityÆ low chances of psychological disorders -intervention-causation fallacy: involves the assumption that if a treatment is effective, it must address the cause of the problem (cure does not necessarily point to the cause) CONSEQUENCES OF LABELLING -may have negative consequences -Z}ZLZL[ZZšµÇ~‰ŒšLš}ZÀÀ}] Z -may affect self-concept -Once diagnosis is applied, you get useful info about what you need to save the patient ANXIETY DISORDERS -General anxiety disorder (GAD): unrealistic anxiety lasting over 6 months with 3 or more symptoms: restlessness, fatigue, concentration problems, irritability, muscle tension, & s
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit