PSY 300 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Miranda Warning, Interros, Soft Sell

142 views7 pages

Document Summary

Main goal of police investigation is to obtain confessions of guilt from suspect. Mid-20th century, physical coercion used to get confessions (i. e. whipping, stun-gun) Police receive specialized training to extract confessions (i. e. varies per country; u. k less coercive than na) Training interrogation book: criminal interrogation and confessions reid model. Gather evidence related to crime & interview witnesses and victims: conduct interview of suspect to assess evidence of deception, conduct accusatorial interview of suspect that is guilty with 9-step procedure (pg. 61) with objective being to get them to confess. Model based on assumption that suspects fear confessing due to potential consequences of confessing outweighs anxiety when being deceptive. Appealing to morality can increase anxiety of deception. Minimization techniques: soft sell to lull suspect into false sense of security (i. e. sympathy, excuses, justifications) Maximization: scare tactics to intimidate subject believed to be guilty (i. e. exaggerating the seriousness of offence, making false evidence claims (pg.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers