Quantitative Methods
Course
QMS 102
Professor
Changping Wang
Semester
Winter

Description
Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Chapter 1 – Introduction and Data Collection I) What is Data? Data Consist   of   information   coming   from   observations,   counts,  measurements, or responses. • “People who eat three daily servings of whole grains have been  shown to reduce their risk of…stroke by 37%.” (Source: Whole  Grains Council) • “Seventy percent of the 1500 U.S. spinal cord injuries to minors  result from vehicle accidents, and 68 percent were not wearing a  seatbelt.” (Source: UPI) II) What is Statistics? Statistics The science of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting  data in order to make decisions. III) Data Sets SESSION 1 Page 1 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang a) Population The collection of  all  outcomes, responses, measurements, or  counts that are of interest.                                               Examples: 1) All the registered voters in Canada;                    2) All students registered in QMS102 at Ryerson  University;                    3) All people in Ontario who have OHIP. b) Sample A subset of the population. Examples: 1) All the registered voters in Ontario;                    2) All students in this class;                    3) All people in Ryerson who have OHIP. Example: Identifying Data Sets In a recent survey, 1708 adults in the United States were asked if  they think global warming is a problem that requires immediate  SESSION 1 Page 2 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang government action. Nine hundred thirty­nine of the adults said  yes. Identify the population and the sample. Describe the data  set. (Adapted from: PewResearch Center) • The population consists of the responses of all adults in the U.S. • The sample consists of the responses of the 1708 adults in the  U.S. in the survey. Parameter and Statistic c) Parameter A number that describes a population characteristic. Average age of all people in the United States. d) Statistic A number that describes a sample characteristic. Average age of people from a sample of three states Example: Distinguish Parameter and Statistic Decide whether the numerical value describes a population  parameter or a sample statistic. 1. A recent survey of a sample of MBAs reported that the average  salary for an MBA is more than $82,000. (Source:The Wall  Street Journal) Solution: SESSION 1 Page 3 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Sample statistic (the average of $82,000 is based on a subset of  the population) 2.  Starting salaries for the all 667 MBA graduates from the  University of Chicago Graduate School of Business increased  8.5% from the previous year. Solution: Population parameter (the percent increase of 8.5% is based on  all 667 graduates’ starting salaries) IV) Branches of Statistics 1) Descriptive Statistics Involves organizing, summarizing and displaying data.         SESSION 1 Page 4 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang             2) Inferential Statistics Involves using sample data to draw conclusions about a  population. The   course   QMS102   will   discuss  Descriptive  Statistics,  while QMS202 will discuss  Inferential  Statistics. Example: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics SESSION 1 Page 5 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Decide which part of the study represents the descriptive branch  of statistics. What conclusions might be drawn from the study  using inferential statistics? A large sample of men, aged 48, was studied for 18 years. For  unmarried men, approximately 70% were alive at age 65. For  married men, 90% were alive at age 65.  (Source: The  Journal of Family Issues) Solution:  Descriptive statistics involves statements such as  “For unmarried men, approximately 70% were alive at age 65”  and “For married men, 90% were alive at 65.” A possible inference drawn from the study is that being married is  associated with a longer life for men. V) Data Collection Observational study •A researcher observes and measures characteristics of interest  of part of a population. SESSION 1 Page 6 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang •Researchers observed and recorded the mouthing behavior on  nonfood objects of children up to three years old.  (Source:  Pediatric Magazine) Experiment •A treatment is applied to part of a population and responses are  observed. •An experiment was performed in which diabetics took cinnamon  extract daily while a control group took none. After 40 days, the  diabetics who had the cinnamon reduced their risk of heart  disease   while   the   control   group   experienced   no   change.  (Source: Diabetes Care) Simulation •Uses  a  mathematical  or  physical  model  to  reproduce   the  conditions of a situation or process. •Often involves the use of computers. •Automobile manufacturers use simulations with dummies to  study the effects of crashes on humans. Survey •An investigation of one or more characteristics of a population. •Commonly done by interview, mail, or telephone. •A survey is conducted on a sample of female physicians to  determine whether the primary reason for their career choice is  financial stability. SESSION 1 Page 7 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang VI) Data Classification Types of Data 1) Qualitative Data (Categorical Data) consists of  attributes, labels, or non­numerical entries. SESSION 1 Page 8 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang 2) Quantitative data (Numerical Data) Numerical measurements or counts. Discrete:  From a counting process. Continuous:  From a measuring process. Levels of Measurement Data can be classified according to the type of measurement  scale   that   is   involved.   The   measurement   scale   (level   of  measurement) is the set of all possible values that could result  when the data is collected. The type of measurement scale often  SESSION 1 Page 9 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang tells which calculations can be performed and what type of  graphical display is appropriate.   Nominal level of measurement • Qualitative data only. The categories have no particular rating,  rank or order.  • Categorized using names, labels, or qualities • No mathematical computations can be made Example:  1) Marital Status: single, married, divorced or  widowed: 1=single, 2=married, etc.                    2) Colour of cars: blue, red, grey, silver …                    3) Boarding gates: E9, F131, …                    4) Gender: Male, Female                                        Ordinal level of measurement • Qualitative data • Data can be arranged in order. We may say one category is  higher or better than another. • Differences between data entries is not meaningful SESSION 1 Page 10 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Example:  1) Professional ranks: Lecturer=1, Assistant Prof.=2, Associate  Prof.=3, Full Prof.=4                   2)   Rating   a   product   or   a   service:   1=Very   poor,   2=Poor,  3=Average, 4=Good, 5=Excellent                   3) Order of finishing in a sporting event: 1 , 2 , 3  places, …                   4) Letter grades: A+, A, A­, B+, B, B­, … Interval level of measurement • Quantitative data • Data can ordered • Differences between data entries is meaningful • Zero represents a position on a scale (not an inherent zero –  zero does not imply “none”) Example:  SESSION 1 Page 11 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang 1) Temperature (
More Less

Related notes for QMS 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit