Quantitative Methods
Course
QMS 102
Professor
Changping Wang
Semester
Winter

Description
Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Chapter 6 – Discrete Probability Distributions 6.1. Discrete Probability Distributions Session 7 Page 1 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Session 7 Page 2 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Session 7 Page 3 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Example 1: Toss a fair coin three times. Let X be the number of  heads. Write down the probability distribution of X. Session 7 Page 4 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang        Example 2: At a raffle, 1500 tickets are sold at $2 each for four prizes  of $500, $250, $150, and $75. You buy one ticket. Let X be the value of  your gain. Write down the probability distribution of X. Session 7 Page 5 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Mean (or Expected Value) of a (discrete) random  variable Given a discrete probability distribution X                             x 1      x2            …       xn    … ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­ P(X = x )i                     1      p 2           ...      pn    … Then the mean, denoted by E(X), is                                            E(X ) = ∑ xipi i Session 7 Page 6 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Example 3: Roll a fair die. Let X be the number rolled. Then X           P(X) 1            1/6 2            1/6 3            1/6 4            1/6 5            1/6 6            1/6 Find the mean E(X). Session 7 Page 7 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Session 7 Page 8 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang Example 4:  Roll a fair die. Let X be the number rolled. Then X           P(X) 1            1/6 2            1/6 3            1/6 4            1/6 5            1/6 6            1/6 Find the variance  σ 2(or Var(X)) and standard deviation   of X. Note:   We are not interested in showing the use of the formula, since  you can use a CASIO calculator to compute them. Session 7 Page 9 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang For instance, we can put the distribution in a calculator, and treat it as a weighted  data. Then we can find out mean and standard deviation. LIST 1          LIST 2 1                 1/6 2                 1/6 3                 1/6 4                 1/6 5                 1/6 6                 1/6 XLIST:  LIST 1     Freq:  LIST 2 Expected value Decision Making Example 5.7   (Page 232 on the text)   Session 7 Page 10 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang A fast food company plans to install a new ice­cream dispensing unit in  one of two store locations. The company figures that the probability of a  unit being successful in location A is ¾ and the annual profit in this case is  $150,000. If it is not successful, there will be losses of $80,000. At location  B the probability of succeeding is ½, and the potential profit and loss are  $240,000 and $48,000, respectively. a) Where should the company locate to maximize the expected profit? b) Which location is less risky, i.e., has the lower relative variability? Example 7: B. F. Retread, a tire manufacturer, wants to select one of  the   feasible   designs   for   a   new   longer   wearing   radial   tire.   The  manufacturing cost of each type of tire is shown below.  Fixed Cost Variable Cost Tire Design per year  per tire Session 7 Page 11 Business Statistics I Dr. Changping Wang A $60,000  $30 B  $90,000  $20 C $120,000  $15 There are 3 possible levels of annual demand: 5,000 tires, 7,000 tires and  11,000 tires. The respective probabilities are 0.2, 0.4 and 0.4. The selling  prices   for   A,   B   and   C   will   be   $85,   $65   and   $75,   respectively. Question 1 Based on expected profit, which design should be  produced? (a) C      (b) B     (c) A     (d)  A or B      (e)   B  or  C Question 2 What is the expected profit for the design B? a. $372,000         b. $279,000   c.  $313,500      d. $391,000         e. None of these Example 8: If we roll a fair die 3 times, find out the probability that we  will roll a number “1” exactly 2 times. Solution. If we use a triple (a, b, c) to denote an outcome of such  experiment, then it means that we roll a die three times, and we roll  numbers a, b and c at the first, second and third times, respectively. So,  the sample space is  S={(1,1,1), (1,1,2), (1,1,3), (1,1,4), (1,1,5), (1,1,6),      (1,2,1), (1,2,2), (1,2,3), (1,2,4), (1,2,5), (1,2,6), Session 7
More Less

Related notes for QMS 102

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit