Chapter note from Sociology in Our Times 5th Canadian Edition: Chapter 2

14 Pages

Department
Sociology
Course Code
SOC 103
Professor
Sal Guzzo

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 14 pages of the document.
Chapter 2: Sociological Research
Why Is Sociological Research Necessary?
Common-sense beliefs about society are often wrong
Five Ways of Knowing the World
Personal experience
Tradition
oeveryone knows it to be true
Authority
oExperts
Religion
Science
oControlled, systematic observation
Personal experience, tradition, authority, and religion are valid sources of
understanding
But hard to resolve differences in these, because people believe in diff things
Science allows scientists to resolve differences in their understanding of the social
and physical world
Science uses Empirical approach
Empirical approach: scientific findings are based on the assumption that
knowledge is best gained by direct, systematic observation
Normative approach: uses religion, tradition, or authority to answer important
questions, based on strong beliefs about what is right and wrong, and what is
desirable in society
Scientific knowledge is systematic and public
Scientific knowledge has a built-in mechanism for self-correction, scientists never
say their findings represent eternal truths
www.notesolution.com
Hypothesis: tentative statements of the relationship between two or more concepts
of variables
Science is objective
Objective: scientists try to ensure that their biases and values do not affect their
research
Researchers must be careful of bias they have
Cant be completely objective, Weber said that section of research problems is
influenced by the researchers values
Weber: sociology was fundamentally concerned with the subjective meaning of social
action primary task of the sociologist is to understand the meaning an act has for
the actor himself, not for the observer
Kirby and McKenna, how someone sees and how we go about constructing meaning
is a matter of interpretation
Descriptive and Explanatory Studies
Descriptive studies: attempt to describe social reality or provide facts about some
group, practice or event
Explanatory studies: attempt to explain relationships and to provide information
on why certain events do or do not occur
The Theory and Research Cycle
Theory and research is a continuous cycle
www.notesolution.com
Deductive approach: the researcher begins with a theory and uses research to test
the theory
oTheories generate hypotheses
oHypotheses lead to observations (data gathering)
oObservations lead to generalizations
oGeneralizations are used to support the theory, modifications to it, or dispute
it.
Inductive approach: researcher collects information or data (facts or evidence) and
then generates theories from the analysis of those data
oSpecific observations suggest generalizations
oGeneralizations produce a tentative theory
oThe theory is tested through the formation of hypotheses
oHypotheses may provide suggestions for additional observation
www.notesolution.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 2: Sociological Research Why Is Sociological Research Necessary? Common-sense beliefs about society are often wrong Five Ways of Knowing the World Personal experience Tradition o everyone knows it to be true Authority o Experts Religion Science o Controlled, systematic observation Personal experience, tradition, authority, and religion are valid sources of understanding But hard to resolve differences in these, because people believe in diff things Science allows scientists to resolve differences in their understanding of the social and physical world Science uses Empirical approach Empirical approach: scientific findings are based on the assumption that knowledge is best gained by direct, systematic observation Normative approach: uses religion, tradition, or authority to answer important questions, based on strong beliefs about what is right and wrong, and what is desirable in society Scientific knowledge is systematic and public Scientific knowledge has a built-in mechanism for self-correction, scientists never say their findings represent eternal truths www.notesolution.com Hypothesis: tentative statements of the relationship between two or more concepts of variables Science is objective Objective: scientists try to ensure that their biases and values do not affect their research Researchers must be careful of bias they have Cant be completely objective, Weber said that section of research problems is influenced by the researchers values Weber: sociology was fundamentally concerned with the subjective meaning of social action primary task of the sociologist is to understand the meaning an act has for the actor himself, not for the observer Kirby and McKenna, how someone sees and how we go about constructing meaning is a matter of interpretation Descriptive and Explanatory Studies Descriptive studies: attempt to describe social reality or provide facts about some group, practice or event Explanatory studies: attempt to explain relationships and to provide information on why certain events do or do not occur The Theory and Research Cycle Theory and research is a continuous cycle www.notesolution.com
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit