ch. 1-6 practice exam questions

2 Pages

Department
Biomedical Physio & Kines
Course Code
BPK 205
Professor
Parveen Bawa

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Chapters 1-6 Practice Questions
1. How is the body temperature maintained at 37 deg C after you swallow a glass of very
cold water? Can the same mechanism maintain the body temperature when you are
dropped in the Arctic in December? [total one page with a figure; 15 minutes]
The body maintains its 37 deg C temperature by countering the loss of heat
instigated by the cold water. Nerves in the skin send signals to the hypothalamus in the
brain that senses the loss in body heat. This triggers the release of signals of both the
endocrine and nervous systems that start heat preserving actions. These actions may
include: reduced sweating, teeth chattering, shivering, blood flow distribution
concentrated more at the core of the body rather than skin. This system is called a
negative feedback system. There is a stimulus (the cold water), that causes a change in
temperature that is sensed by a sensor (nerves). This triggers an input signal that travels
to an integrating center (hypothalamus) via the afferent pathway. The integrating center
triggers multiple signals that travel via the efferent pathway to different targets/effectors
(blood vessels, sweat glands, muscles). The targets then initiate an appropriate response
(core blood vessel dilation, blood vessel constriction near skin surface, reduced sweat,
shivering).
Being dropped in the Arctic is a huge external change that would result in a great
internal body temperature change. This change would be too large for the body to
compensate for using this mechanism. The same mechanism would fail, and you would
die.
Stimulus Drinking cold water
Sensor/receptor Nerves
Afferent pathway
Integrating Center hypothalamus
Efferent Pathway
Target/effector blood vessels, sweat glands, muscles
Responses core blood vessel dilation, blood vessel constriction near skin surface,
reduced sweat, shivering
2.What is a negative feedback system? [Total one page, with a figure, No example; less
than 10 minutes]
Input/Desired Output Error Signal Control System Output
Feedback
This is a diagram of a closed loop system. A negative feedback system is a type of closed
loop system. In a negative feedback system, the difference between the desired output
and actual output is detected by the body, often through receptors or sensors. The body
will send out a response that will decrease this difference, most often in order to maintain
homeostasis. A negative feedback system opposes a stimulus, and opposes change. In a
way this can be perceived as correcting an error. Once this error is corrected the response

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapters 16 Practice Questions1How is the body temperature maintained at 37 deg C after you swallow a glass of very cold waterCan the same mechanism maintain the body temperature when you are dropped in the Arctic in December total one page with a figure 15 minutesThe body maintains its 37 deg C temperature by countering the loss of heat instigated by the cold water Nerves in the skin send signals to the hypothalamus in the brain that senses the loss in body heat This triggers the release of signals of both the endocrine and nervous systems that start heat preserving actions These actions may include reduced sweating teeth chattering shivering blood flow distribution concentrated more at the core of the body rather than skin This system is called a negative feedback system There is a stimulus the cold water that causes a change in temperature that is sensed by a sensor nerves This triggers an input signal that travels to an integrating center hypothalamus via the afferent pathway The integrating center triggers multiple signals that travel via the efferent pathway to different targetseffectors blood vessels sweat glands muscles The targets then initiate an appropriate response core blood vessel dilation blood vessel constriction near skin surface reduced sweat sh
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit