CRIM 210 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Visible Minority, Assault, Carrington Family

40 views3 pages
Chapter 3 The Fats of Youth Cie
Measuring Youth Crime
- Common source of information: media
- Other major source: social-control agencies
- Other involve population or field research.
- 2 most common surveys are victimization surveys (if someone themselves have been
victimized) and self-epot sueys people’s ioleet i deliuet o iial ats
- Surveys and Field Research are better measurements of crime than Control Agencies
Sources and What They Tell Us About Youth Crime
The Media
o The information can be misleading and contribute to public fear
o Crime waves can be seen as media waves
Police Statistics
o Information provided to the police by complaints or from their own
observations.
o Crimes cleared by the police refer to crimes are crimes that the police know they
have a suspect and are prepared to process case in court.
o YCJA was implemented and police statistics became available
o Police statistics are reported as general indexes, crime index, property index, and
other index
o UCR statistics tell us that crime has increased and decreased, technically
decreased now.
Court Statistics
o Kept by individual courts and yield less information than police statistics
o They provide information on the offenders and their offences
Self Report Surveys
o Adiisteed to a shool’s populatio ad the hilde fill out this suey that
helps determine what time of crime and which individuals are a part of it.
o Official records misrepresent the middle class people, usually pinpointing crimes
towards the lower class and visible minorities.
o Criminal behaviour is way more widespread than it appears.
Victimization Surveys
o If an individual has ever been victimized, they can report it on the survey
o They a’t easue itiless ies like dug offees
o Victimization surveys can be influenced by stereotypes of criminals
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Chapter 3 the (cid:862)fa(cid:272)ts(cid:863) of youth c(cid:396)i(cid:373)e. 2 most common surveys are victimization surveys (if someone themselves have been victimized) and self-(cid:396)epo(cid:396)t su(cid:396)(cid:448)eys (cid:894)people"s i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)e(cid:373)e(cid:374)t i(cid:374) deli(cid:374)(cid:395)ue(cid:374)t o(cid:396) (cid:272)(cid:396)i(cid:373)i(cid:374)al a(cid:272)ts(cid:895) Surveys and field research are better measurements of crime than control agencies. Sources and what they tell us about youth crime. The media: the information can be misleading and contribute to public fear, crime waves can be seen as media waves. Court statistics: kept by individual courts and yield less information than police statistics, they provide information on the offenders and their offences. If an individual has ever been victimized, they can report it on the survey: they (cid:272)a(cid:374)"t (cid:373)easu(cid:396)e (cid:448)i(cid:272)ti(cid:373)less (cid:272)(cid:396)i(cid:373)es like d(cid:396)ug offe(cid:374)(cid:272)es, victimization surveys can be influenced by stereotypes of criminals. Youth crime has decreased due to charge rates. Property crime: most common youth offence due to its petty nature, has been declining, the primary motivator for property crime is utilitarian.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers