Department
Course
Professor
Chapter 2: Maximization (Pgs. 21-43)
Introduction
- For economists, there is only one source of motivation: greed
o The all it self-loe aiizatio
o Individuals are just trying to do their best under their circumstances
o But eooists at to tr to ie all ehaior as a effort to iproe oe’s situation
or well-being: alled utilit
- People try to get as much utility as possible given their circumstances
- Principle #1 - Maximization: All individuals are always motivated by greed
- Economics is about explaining behavior, not condoning actions or suggesting others
o Economists simply use this assumption because it works
- Maiizatio does’t ea that people are alas sart or orret
o Just eause people hae greed does’t ea that the’ll e right
o Greed does’t ea ore is alas preferred to less non-satisfaction (nonsatiated)
o Economists often make assumptions of nonsatiation to make models work better, but it
is ot eessar, ad should’t e ofused ith aiization
- Greed is the edrok for eooists, its hat akes a arguet eooi
- A non-economic argument could be one based on altruism (non-greedy behavior)
- Motivation is not observable (why we have to assume the first principle), and any specific
behavior can always be explained away as consistent with greed or altruism
o Wh ould eooists at greed oer soe ier otiatio as a startig priiple?
- Belief in maximization has several impressive implications clearly observed around us
o Including: Scarcity, exchange, equilibrium
Part 2.1: Scarcity
- Scarcity is confused with rarity all the time
o Rarity means that something is in short supply
o To be scarce means that people want more of a good than is available when the good is
free; it may also be rare but does’t hae to e
- If the price of a good is zero and people want more than what is available, then that good is
scarce
- This concept is a result of greed
- Has several implications:
o Since the world is full of scarcity, there never will be enough of everything
o Everything is just not _____ enough, and its maximization at work in our lives
- From scarcity, we are faced with making choices
- Since there is never enough of the things we want, the only way we can get more of one thing is
to give up something else; this is unavoidable
Part 2.2: Equilibrium
- By equilibrium, economists mean a situation where no one wants to change their behavior
- An equilibrium will always be reached when individuals and firms maximize
o If people get together to increase their wealth, and the do’t full eploit eer
opportuit to do so, the the hae’t aiized
- Biggest example is driving on the freeway with 2 lanes
o The outcome of an equilibrium was the result of individuals trying to maximize
- Economists often analyze equilibrium with a oept alled the argi
o Margi eas a sall aout or a sall hage
o Indifference comes into play here, as people may be indifferent to taking action in
equilibrium (no marginal benefit to taking action)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

For economists, there is only one source of motivation: greed: the(cid:455) (cid:272)all it (cid:862)self-lo(cid:448)e(cid:863) (cid:373)a(cid:454)i(cid:373)izatio(cid:374) Individuals are just trying to do their best under their circumstances: but e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)ists (cid:449)a(cid:374)t to tr(cid:455) to (cid:448)ie(cid:449) all (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior as a(cid:374) effort to i(cid:373)pro(cid:448)e o(cid:374)e"s situation or well-being: (cid:272)alled (cid:862)utilit(cid:455)(cid:863) People try to get as much utility as possible given their circumstances. Principle #1 - maximization: all individuals are always motivated by greed. Economics is about explaining behavior, not condoning actions or suggesting others: economists simply use this assumption because it works. Ma(cid:454)i(cid:373)izatio(cid:374) does(cid:374)"t (cid:373)ea(cid:374) that people are al(cid:449)a(cid:455)s s(cid:373)art or (cid:272)orre(cid:272)t. Greed is the (cid:271)edro(cid:272)k for e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)ists, its (cid:449)hat (cid:373)akes a(cid:374) argu(cid:373)e(cid:374)t (cid:862)e(cid:272)o(cid:374)o(cid:373)i(cid:272)(cid:863) A non-economic argument could be one based on altruism (non-greedy behavior) Belief in maximization has several impressive implications clearly observed around us. If the price of a good is zero and people want more than what is available, then that good is scarce.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers