ECON103 Problem Set 7.pdf

3 Pages

Department
Economics
Course Code
ECON 103
Professor
Ryan Allen

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
UNIT 8 - PROBLEM SET #7
Chapter 9: Problems 6, 18, 20
Chapter 10: Problems 8, 14, 22, 30
ECON 103
Section C100

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
U NIT 8-P ROBLEM SET #7 Chapter 9: Problems 6, 18, 20 Chapter 10: Problems 8, 14, 22, 30 ECON 103 Section C100 C HAPTER 9 Problem #6: The statement is wrong because it does not consider the capital inputs of the firm. Assuming that the workers all have the same skills, the twelfth worker that is hired can only be less productive than the third if the capital inputs is the same as the labour inputs. Problem #18: Profit is the total revenue minus the total cost while rent is the total revenue minus the total variable cost. A firm would still be interested in staying in the industry even though the profits is zero because it can still operate while covering its variable costs. It breaks even with the total cost and the total revenue and earns rent as it operates. In fact, in equilibrium, every firm must earn zero profit. Problem #20: True. For example, in an oil industry the cost to build and operate an oil pump is fixed. Over time, more and more units of oil is pumped out, the average costs starts to fall. However, since the cost of the machineries of the pump is fixed, there still is a constant marginal cost. C HAPTER 10 Problem #8: False. If the government pays for medical students' tuition then more people could apply for medical schools because they can afford it. However, whether or not medical schools decides to accept more students is not the government's decision. Also, the ability of these students to successfully graduate and become doctors also is independent of the government paying for their tuition. If the medical school accepts more students and these students actually graduate and become doctors then the supply of doctors would greater, causing the medical costs to be lower. In the end, the medical costs may be lower, but not because doctors would not need to recoup their investments, causing the statement to be false. Problem #14: This statement confuses the difference between chang
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit