Textbook Notes (227,030)
CA (156,718)
SFU (5,437)
ENV (9)
ENV 319 (9)
Chapter 3

ENV 319 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Royal Assent, Land Claim, Primary And Secondary Legislation

by OneClass24234 , Winter 2013
3 Pages
Winter 2013

Department
Environment
Course Code
ENV 319
Professor
David Boyd
Chapter

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
ENV 319 Book Notes
An Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy in Canada
By: P. Muldoon, A. Lucas, R. Gibson, and P. Pickfield
Chapter 3: The Canadian Legal Framework
Legal Systems (p. 19)
- Two legal systems and two corresponding sets of tradition
- Quebec under…
o Civil Law – applies to private disputes between citizens
oQuebec Public Law – governs relations between citizens and government
- Rest of Canada under common law
The Role of the Constitution (p. 20)
-Constitution – supreme law; highest level in the hierarchy of laws
- Most constitutions (since UN Conference on the Human Environment in 1972) have been amended to add
environmental provisions
- Canada’s constitution does not include the environment
The Constitutional Division of Powers (p. 21) divided between
-Provincial Powers (sections 92 and 109)
oSpecific areas
s. 92(5) – management and sale of public lands
s. 92(8) – municipal institutions
s. 92(13) – property and civil rights
s. 92(16) – matters of a local or private nature
oNatural resources
s. 92A – manage and capture revenues from non-renewable and forestry resources and the
generation of electrical energy
oProprietary interests
os. 109 – vests public lands, minerals, etc with the provincial gov’t (unless federally owned or under
authority of the federal gov’t)
-Federal Powers (section 91)
oSpecific areas
s. 91(2) – trade and commerce
s. 91(3) – taxation power
s. 91(10) – navigation
s. 91(12) – seacoast and fisheries
s. 91(24) – First Nations and Aboriginal Interests
s. 91(27) – criminal law
oGeneral power – “Peace, Order, and good government” of Canada
oTreaty-making power – international negotiations, but cannot implement without constitutional
authority or provincial agreement
Municipal Jurisdiction (p. 23)
- Can pass bylaws drawing from the provincial municipal acts that create them and specify their powers to
legislate
-Purposive interpretive approach – to ensure that municipalities can deal effectively with emergent
environmental problems (i.e. regulating pesticide) within their jurisdiction
Aboriginal Jurisdiction (p. 24)
- Regional jurisdiction based on the inherent right of self-government

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
ENV 319 Book Notes An Introduction to Environmental Law and Policy in Canada By: P. Muldoon, A. Lucas, R. Gibson, and P. Pickfield Chapter 3: The Canadian Legal Framework Legal Systems (p. 19) - Two legal systems and two corresponding sets of tradition - Quebec under… o Civil Law – applies to private disputes between citizens o Quebec Public Law – governs relations between citizens and government - Rest of Canada under common law The Role of the Constitution (p. 20) - Constitution – supreme law; highest level in the hierarchy of laws - Most constitutions (since UN Conference on the Human Environment in 1972) have been amended to add environmental provisions - Canada’s constitution does not include the environment The Constitutional Division of Powers (p. 21) divided between - Provincial Powers (sections 92 and 109) o Specific areas  s. 92(5) – management and sale of public lands  s. 92(8) – municipal institutions  s. 92(13) – property and civil rights  s. 92(16) – matters of a local or private nature o Natural resources  s. 92A – manage and capture revenues from non-renewable and forestry resources and the generation of electrical energy o Proprietary interests o s. 109 – vests public lands, minerals, etc with the provincial gov’t (unless federally owned or under authority of the federal gov’t) - Federal Powers (section 91) o Specific areas  s. 91(2) – trade and commerce  s. 91(3) – taxation power  s. 91(10) – navigation  s. 91(12) – seacoast and fisheries  s. 91(24) – First Nations and Aboriginal Interests  s. 91(27) – criminal law o General power – “Peace, Order, and good government” of Canada o Treaty-making power – international negotiations, but cannot implement without constitutional authority or provincial agreement Municipal Jurisdiction (p. 23) - Can pass bylaws drawing from the provincial municipal acts that create them and specify their powers to legislate - Purposive interpretive approach – to ensure that municipalities can deal effectively with emergent environmental problems (i.e. regulating pesticide) within their jurisdiction Aboriginal Jurisdiction (p. 24) - Regional jurisdiction based on the inherent right of self-government - Land claim agreements typically establish an array of land and renewable resource agencies that regulate and manage water use, wildlife, etc Statutes and Subordinate Legislation (p. 24) - Hierarchy of environmental legislation Constitution of Canada Environmental Statutes Subordinate legislation (regulations and rules) made by… Cabinet ministers, municipal governments, and some environmental boards - Governor in council (federal) or lieutenant-governor in council (provincial) to make subordinate legislation in the form of regulations and rules - Statutes provide the legislative framework How Laws are Made (p. 25) - Statutes o Begins with a government’s development of a policy o Legal review – assessment of constitutionality o On federal level – consideration of the po
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit