LING 222 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Ditransitive Verb, Linking Verb, Pronoun

43 views2 pages

Document Summary

A stream of words that form a unit. (np, vp) We can tell if it is a constituent by replacing the words with another ele(cid:373)e(cid:374)t su(cid:272)h as (cid:862)it. (cid:863) Or (cid:271)y putti(cid:374)g the word (cid:862)less(cid:863) i(cid:374) fro(cid:374)t of it. Of (cid:271)y putti(cid:374)g the word (cid:862)fewer(cid:863) i(cid:374) fro(cid:374)t of it. Moving constituents around to make certain ones the topic of the sentence. Object is promoted to the subject position (but it is still the object, unlike topicalization) When a sentence or a phrase can be embedded within another sentence or phrase. I thought that she thought that he saw me. Pieces of lexical information about person and number that must be bound to a verb. Only auxiliaries can be directly proceeded by a (cid:862)(cid:374)ot(cid:863). What is the difference between indicative and subjunctive verbs. An indicative verbs indicates: certainty/objectivity: he laughs on tv. Attributive: directly modifies the noun: the small door. Predicative: follows a linking verb: the door was small.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers