Psychology (900)
PSYC 210 (23)

Statistical Significance Vocab

1 Page
Unlock Document

Simon Fraser University
PSYC 210
Cathy Mc Farland

Chapter 6 Vocabulary 1 Decision errors – incorrect conclusion in hypothesis testing in relation to the real but unknown situation despite doing the correct calculations and steps Type I error – alpha () – rejecting the null hypothesis when in fact it is true; getting a statistically significant result when in fact the research hypothesis is not true Type II error – beta () – failing to reject the null hypothesis when in fact it is false; failing to get a statistically significant result when in fact the research hypothesis is true -----------------------ECISIONERRORS --------------------------- Real Situation (in practice, unknown) Null Hypothesis True Research Hypothesis True Research hypothesis Conclusion Using Type I error -  Correct decision Hypothesis-Testing supported (reject null) Study is inconclusive (do not Correct decision Type II error -  Procedure reject null) Effect size ( ) – in studies involving means of one or two groups, measure of difference (lack of overlap) between populations; the usual standardized effect size measure increases with greater differences between means and decreases with greater standard deviations in the population, but isn’t affected by sample size; the difference between the population means divided by the population’s standard deviation Effect size conventions – standard rules about what to consider
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 210

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.