Textbook Notes (368,799)
Canada (162,168)
Psychology (935)
PSYC 241 (14)
Chapter 15

Chapter 15 Developmental Disorders

2 Pages
77 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Psychology
Course
PSYC 241
Professor
Shannon Zaitsoff
Semester
Fall

Description
CHAPTER 15: DEVELOPMENTAL DISORDERS Stereotypy – the repetition of meaningless gestures or movements Intellectual Disability or Mental Retardation (p.339) Mental Retardation – sub-average intellectual functioning with onset before age 18 - Must also be accompanied by significant limitations in two or more area of adaptive behavior as expressed in conceptual, social, and practical adaptive skills, such as communication, self-care, academic, domestic, social or community skills, leisure and work - IQ of 75 and lower Adaptive Behavior (p.341) - Communication – expressive, receptive and written language - Daily living or personal living skills – eating, dressing, personal hygiene, domestic and community living skills - Social interaction – coping, interpersonal relationships, leisure skills - Motor skills – movement, coordination, ability to manipulate objects using fingers and hands Genetic Cause – genetic links found in more than 70% of intellectual and developmental disabilities Down Syndrome 1. Trisomy 21 – extra chromosome on pair 21 o 1 in 700 live births o Occurs in 95% of the cases of Down syndrome o Greater risk for mothers and fathers above the age of 40 2. Translocation – part of the 21 chromosome breaks off and attaches to another o Occurs in 4% of the cases o Mothers age does not affect chances 3. Mosaicism o Cell division occurs unevenly so there is 45 or 47 cells o Occurs in 1% of the cases o May have fewer physical characteristics, better speech and higher intellectual functioning, dep
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 241

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit