Sociology and Anthropology
Course
SA 335
Professor
Rachel Treloar
Semester
Fall

Description
Short Summary for Week 9: Women’s Work in Transnational Context - Misra, J., Woodring, J., & Merz, S. (2006). The globalization of care work: Neoliberal economic restructuring and migration policy. Globalization, 3(3), 317-332. (12pp) - Wong, M. (2000). Ghanaian women in Toronto’s labour market: Negotiating gendered roles and transnational household strategies. Canadian Ethnic Studies, 32(2), 1-14. (13pp) - Spitzer, D., Neufeld, A., Harrison, M., Hughes, K., & Stewart, M. (2003). Caregiving in transnational context: “My wings have been cut; where can I fly?” Gender & Society, 17(2), 267-286. (17pp) The article on Ghanian women in Toronto discussed women’s continuing transnational ties and adapting to Canadian environment. Many of the women migrated at a bad time, during the economic recession, and therefore could not find adequate jobs. Due to other issues such as residency & refuge laws, and work visas, many women took low paying jobs, which they were often overqualified for. The maintenance of transnational ties serve the purpose of (1) maintaining family security in the face of economic insecurity, (2) resisting social exclusion and racialized discriminati
More Less

Related notes for SA 335

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit