Sociology 1000 Chapter Notes - Chapter 22: Mortality Rate, Arithmetic Progression, Geometric Progression

52 views4 pages
29 Apr 2018
School
Department
Professor
Chapter 22-Population, Urbanization and Environment
Demography: The Study of population
Analyzes size and composition of a population, and studies how and why people move from
place to place.
Fertility: the iidee of hildearig i a outry’s populatio.
Crude Birth Rate: The number of live births in a given year for every 1000 people in a pop.
Crude / it takes ot oly oe of hildearig age ito aout.
Mortality: The incidee of death i a soiety’s populatio
Crude death rate: Number of deaths in a given year for every 1000 people
Infant mortality Rate: Number of deaths among infants >one year for each 1000 live births.
Life expectancy: Ag life spa of a outry’s population
Migration: Movement into and out of a territory
Immigration: measured as In-migration rate(number entering an area for every 1000 people in
the population.
Net Migration rate: Net result of in-migration and out-migration
Population Growth: Fertility, ortality ad igratio affet the size of a soiety’s populatio
Natural Growth Rate: Calculated by subtracting the crude death rate from the crude birth rate
-High income countries grow more from immigration than fertility
Population Composition
Sex Ratio: Number of males for every 100 females (Women outlive men)
Age-sex pyramid: A graphic representation of the age and sex of the population
Malthusian Theory
-Malthus warned of impending doom based on population projections
-population growth increases in geometric progression
-food production in arithmetic progression b/c limited farm land
-people reproducing at rates that exceed their ability to produce sufficient food.
Demographic Transition Theory
The thesis that population patterns reflet a soiety’s leel of tehologial deelopet.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Analyzes size and composition of a population, and studies how and why people move from place to place. Fertility: the i(cid:374)(cid:272)ide(cid:374)(cid:272)e of (cid:272)hild(cid:271)eari(cid:374)g i(cid:374) a (cid:272)ou(cid:374)try"s populatio(cid:374). Crude birth rate: the number of live births in a given year for every 1000 people in a pop. (cid:862)crude(cid:863) (cid:271)/(cid:272) it takes (cid:374)ot o(cid:374)ly (cid:449)o(cid:373)e(cid:374) of (cid:272)hild(cid:271)eari(cid:374)g age i(cid:374)to a(cid:272)(cid:272)ou(cid:374)t. Mortality: the incide(cid:374)(cid:272)e of death i(cid:374) a so(cid:272)iety"s populatio(cid:374) Crude death rate: number of deaths in a given year for every 1000 people. Infant mortality rate: number of deaths among infants >one year for each 1000 live births. Life expectancy: a(cid:448)g life spa(cid:374) of a (cid:272)ou(cid:374)try"s population. Migration: movement into and out of a territory. Immigration: measured as in-migration rate(number entering an area for every 1000 people in the population. Net migration rate: net result of in-migration and out-migration. Population growth: fertility, (cid:373)ortality a(cid:374)d (cid:373)igratio(cid:374) affe(cid:272)t the size of a so(cid:272)iety"s populatio(cid:374)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers