CLASSICS CHAPTER 7
POSEIDON, SEA DEITIES, GROUP
DIVINITIES, AND MONSTERS
POSEIDON - best known as great god of waters in general, the sea
- was not the first or only such divinity
- PONTUS (the "Sea") had been produced first by GE in the
initial stages of creation.
- two of the titans, OCEANUS and TETHYS, bore thousands of
children, the OCEANIDS.
- PONTUS mated with his mother, GE, and begat NEREUS, the
endlest of his children, who was gentle, wise, and true, an old
man of the sea with the gift of prophecy.
- NEREUS mated with an Oceanid named DORIS, who bore him 50
daughters: THE NEREIDS. mermaids.
- three notable Nereids were THETIS, GALATEA, AND AMPHITRITE.
PELEUS AND THETIS
THETIS was the one Prometheus knew was destined to bear a son
mighter than his father, so Zeus had to not sleep with her.
- Zeus learned this and avoided her.
- she married instead a mortal named PELEUS.
- thetis could shape shift and made it very hard for peleus
- they were married with great pomp, though she later left him,
and they bore ACHILLES, who was much mightier than his dad. ACIS, GALATEA, AND THE CYCLOPS POLYPHEMUS
- GALATEA, another Nereid, was loved by the Cyclops POLYPHEMUS,
a son of POSEIDON. *polyphemis is also the cyclops blinded by
Odysseus in the Odyssey, for which poseidon is pissed off.
- incongruous passion of boorish monster and delicate nymph.
- she doesn't like POLYPHEMUS, she is in love wiht handsome sea
nymph ACIS. Polyphemis laments.
- POLYPHEMUS kills ACIS and he re-emerges as a river-god.
POSEIDON AND AMPHITRITE
- Nereid AMPHITRITE marries POSEIDON after much pursuit on
poseidon's part. They end up with a marriage much like zeus and
- they have a son, TRITON, a merman and trumpeter (conch shell)
- poseidon sleeps around. has twins by TYRO. twins are NELEUS
and PELIAS, notable legendary figures with significant progeny.
- sea divinity PROTEUS, of the older generation of gods, is
often named as attendant of Poseidon or even as his Son. like
NEREUS, he's a future seeing old man of the sea type who can
- lots of confusion among sea divinities and duplication of
characteristics. easy to mix up NEREUS, PROTEUS, and TRITON.
APPEARANCE AND CHARACTER OF POSEIDON
- similar to brother Zeus: majestic, bearded, but poseidon is
generally more severe and rought, to illustrate tempestuous
nature. - he carries trident
- by his nature, he is ferocious
- he called "supporter of the earth" and "earthshaker"
- god of earthquakes
- his animal is the HORSE
- his origins are disputed. he could have in earlier times been
a god of the sky. or he could have once been a male spirit of
fertility - a god of earth who sent up springs... which would
fit with his horse association (and sometiems bulls). also
explain why he mated with Demeter in the form of a stallion. she
changed into a mare to escape him but