Textbook Notes (368,728)
Canada (162,113)
Nutrition (77)
NUTR100 (67)
Chapter

April 3 - ch 16nutrition through life.doc

5 Pages
47 Views
Unlock Document

Department
Nutrition
Course
NUTR100
Professor
Sabina Valentine
Semester
Winter

Description
April 3 – Ch16 – Nutrition Throughout Life Nutrition related Concerns: • Body image and appearance become more important to kids as puberty approaches • Inadequate calcium intake can result as kids make their own choices and may avoid milk in lieu of other drinks Adolescents 14-18 years old • Growth spurts begin at 10-11 years old for girls and 12-13 for boys • An average 20-25% increase in height is expected • Weight and body comp also changes Macronutrients in Adolescents: • Estimated energy requirements (EER) for adolescents is based on gender, age, activity level, height and weight • 25-35% of total energy from fat • 45-60% of kcal from carbs • 0.85 grams of protein per kg of body weight • 36 grams of fibre per day Micronutrients in Adolescents • Calcium intakes must be sufficient for achieving peak bone density • Iron needs are relatively high • Vitamin A is critical for supporting rapid growth and development Adolescents and Fluid • The need to maintain fluid intake is increased by higher activity levels • Boys: 3.3 liters per day • Girls: 2.3 litres per day Supplements and Adolescents • A multivitamin can be a safety net, but shouldn’t replace a healthful diet Adolescents and Nutritious Food Choices • Peer influences and fast-paced lifestyle can lead adolescents to choose fast foods • Parents can act as role models and keep healthful foods available • Adequate fruits, veggies, and whole grains should be encouraged Adolescents and Nutrition-Related Concerns • Adequate PA is important in reducing obesity • Disordered eating and eating disorders can begin in these years • Smoking, alcohol and drugs can have an impact on nutrition Young and M
More Less

Related notes for NUTR100

Log In


OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Sign up

Join to view


OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.


Submit