Germany was the first nation to dream of a single national land, a single group
• Around the 20 century, Germany turned their drive for nationalism into ethnic
• Germany was divided for 45 years so its nationalism would never threaten Europe
• The Berlin Wall was broken in 1960, but looking for a nationalism that will not
Leipzig, 1989; Karl Marx plot created to bury his regime
• People marched against the party elite, chanting that they are the people
• When the wall came down, people began to chant, We are One People!
o East Germany swept in a tidal wave of nationalist Euphoria
• Cabaret was where communism gained its
• The West Germans are the joke; take advantage of the Ossies.
o People walking around Leipzig around the city, didn’t think of being
unified, just wanted a more democratic government ▯everything came
from the West of Germany ▯a whole culture of Eastern Germany has been
jumped and forgotten after Western German culture takes over.
o People in Eastern Germany wanted to have the luxuries of Western
Germany; people have to may much more for their commodities (homes
are 5x more) people feel cheated.
• New clubs in Liepzig used to be headquarters of the Secret Eastern Police;
o People in clubs are ready to move on, don't want to be reminded of past
o The past, however, does not immediately go away; Battle of 1813,
Germans drove Napoleon out of the country, Germans dream of future
• Germany’s heart and soul based on warriorlike strength
o Hitler used this value to increase nationalism
A man who grew up in the 1940’s Germany was raised to believe that the world he lives
in is the right world, Hitler’s regime; interview asks the German guy about the DDR
times, he must have asked his father about Hitler’s time
Without much imagination, they took over the old forms of warfare and tried to give
them new meaning; the scarves of the Hitler’s pioneers and DDR system was the same;
the scarves were like a new home in an old house
o The past beliefs were blot out, could not be completely analyzed and criticized
o East German children were taught to build the social state; children were taught to
view western powers as wrong.
o Naïve to think if you taught children to embrace socialiness, German nationalism
would appear; ▯ WRONG. WHEN YOU OPPRESS SOMETHING, IT COMES
o People attack asylum hospitals in neoNazi marches, to say… this is our
German identity. o The colors of the German flags are the colors of human respect and dignity.
Nationalism does not mean aggression and hatred. The real meaning of the poster
means that help! The neoNazi’s are winning.
Interview with a Skinhead:
o Leo is accompanied by the leech; selfstyled working class heroes sick of the
capitalist state and unachievable
o He just wants respect for who he is;
o Not ashamed by Germany at all; Auchwitz means nothing ▯all the Jews are just
o Can poles or Romanians