Communications Studies
Course
COMS 201
Professor
Dawn Johnson
Semester
Winter

Description
Coms 201  ▯ Chapter Five Symbolic Interactionism  ▯ Mead • Symbols are the basis of identity and social life • People can only gain identity by interacting with others  • Through this interaction we learn the language and perspectives of our social group Five Key Concepts ▯ 1. Mind: The ability to use symbols that have a common social meaning We need a shared understanding of what symbols mean in our community Utilizing symbols that others will understand There’s no way for a baby to share ideas with others They can only respond to other’s behaviors 2. Self: The ability to reflect on ourselves from the perspective of others Anticipate what others will think of us and adjust ourselves according Looking Glass Self: (seeing ourselves the way others see us like a mirror) Self­Fulfilling Prophecy: Becoming what others tell us we are When we place labels on children that’s how they will end up What people say about us does have an impact on how we see ourselves  Effects of mass media results in this 3. I: The part of the self that is impulsive/spontaneous/creative Not concerned with social rules or consequences  Creative genius and individuality Criminal and immoral behavior The gut instinct Will break up a fight 4. Me: Socially conscious  Reflective/analytical/evaluative Reflects on the I’s actions and impulses Aware of social rules and consequences The “me” begins to grasp other’s perspectives and adopts these as their own Perspectives of other’s are stored in the ME as lenses for seeing the world Measured response Can also help draw the “I” out Considers you’ll get hurt if you break up a fight They have a complementary relationship Sometimes the I is right and the me is over cautious 5. Role Taking: Internalizing other’s perspectives and viewing experiences from other’s perspectives Stepping into their POV to see how they see the world We reflect the perspectives of… 1.  Particular Others:  People that are significant to us (their opinion matters) 2.  Generalized Other:  A broad social group, community or society as a whole The rules, roles and attitudes shared by the society that you live in  What’s generally considered acceptable These can agree or not We accept both We care about one more than the other sometimes Sometimes we go with the group that tells us to do what we want to Specific Example: • A baseball player begins to grasp the roles or perspectives of the other players in  the game (particular others) • When the baseball player understands the game as a whole and how all the  players connect (generalized other) • When your ME edits your behavior in public because it knows how the generalized  other views hand holding of two men Symbolic Interactionism Believes … • People act on the basis of what things mean to them • Meanings are the basis of behavior and communication • Mental activities direct behavior • Our interpretations of others perspectives and not the perspectives themselves guide how  we communicate The I might think skinny dipping is a good idea but the me would remind the I that this is  socially unacceptable These two are complementary, not opposing Criticism ▯ 1.  Inconsisten t He never wrote the theory himself (compiled after his death) 2.  Too vague and broad  Too general to be useful Ideas are too abstract to give insight into the particular process by which people create  meaning SI’s argue that this critiques something the theory didn’t set out to explain, it only wants to  focus on how society got into individuals 3.  Lacks Self­Esteem Explanation  Explains how we come to see ourselves but it doesn’t talk about how other’s ideas and  perspectives affect our self esteem Dramatism ▯ Burke’s theory that states that life is a drama and can be understood in dramatic terms 1.  Identification:  Composed of substance and consubstantiality Substance: Suggesting that people have a core or general essence (my real self) Consubstantiality: The way our substances interact (the way our true selves interact  with each other) Identification helps us understand ourselves in relation to others Communication is the main way we increase our identification with others 2.  Guilt : Central motive for communication Any tensions discomfort, shame or unpleasant feelings We always feel it and are always trying to get rid of it! Motive for communication: Getting rid of it 3.  Hierarchy : We used symbols and language to build divisions and ways of evaluating others  that allows us to build social hierarchies Some are more valuable or higher than others 4.  Perfection : We are always trying to achieve perfection (in ourselves/relationships) but  because it’s impossible, we feel even more guilt There will always be a gap between our real life and our ideal life 5.  The Negative : The moral capacity to deem things wrong Things that are just plain wrong We all have these ideas of the negative but most of us have Contradictory Negative:  Believing some things to be wrong and others to be right (even if they contradict) I.e. killing is wrong, but I love meat  Stealing is wrong but downloading free music is okay How Do We Get Rid Of This Guilt? 1.  Mortification:  Self blame/apologize  2.  Victimage/scapegoating : Blaming others/not my fault (used more often) The Dramatistic Pentad/Hexad ▯ Burke’s method of understanding… Why people do what they do  What the communication context is for all this drama 1.  Act :  What is done by the communicator What they’re trying to accomplish (asking/demanding/apologizing) What you’re doing 2.  Scene :  The situation or context in which the communication act occurs (the class) 3.  Agent : The person who performs the act 4.  Agency : The method of accomplishing an act (a coms technique or physical act used to accomplish  the act)(ex: the lecture) How you’re doing it 5.  Purpose : The goal of the action What the action is trying to achieve Reason 6.  Attitude : The disposition/character of the agent Mood You get the best read of a coms situation if you analyze all of these Difference between act and agency ▯ Agency: The things I do to accomplish things in coms Words, methods, ways of performing coms How you’re doing it Act: What is accomplished (is it pleading/begging/apologizing/establishing authority) What you’re doing Narrative Theory ▯ • Fisher • All communication involves storytelling • You can’t communicate without a story Narration:  • Symbolic actions must have sequence and meaning • You need an intro/climax/conclusion/resolution/plot/character development • How we communicate needs to follow a logical order and have a clear meaning or purpose  (then it will make sense) • You can evaluate classical story telling the same way you can evaluate everyday  communication • Communication can be unsatisfying • There can be misunderstandings  • You need back and fourth, and order Narrative Rationality: • Not all stories are equally compelling or created equal • They must have coherence and fidelity Coherence:  Does it make sense?  Internal Coherence: Were all the important details told so the ending is believable? Do the characters act consistently? Is anything distorted? Fidelity:  Does it resonate with your beliefs and experiences? If we want to create fidelity, consider how people will receive it Also how you can connect your interests with theirs The best stories have high levels of both Coherence Vs. Fidelity ▯ • Coherence has more influence on persuasion • We care more abo
More Less

Related notes for COMS 201

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit