Fall 2013

Department
Biology
Course Code
BIOL 1090
Professor
Marc Coppolino
Chapter

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Cell Signalling and Signal Transduction: Chapter 10
September-22-13
10:35 PM
Cell Signaling and Signal Transduction
-Extracellular messenger molecules communicate between cells
-Messengers can travel short distances and stimulate close cells, or they can travel through the body to
stimulate cells that are farther away
-Many different ways for cells to signal:
Autocrine Signalling occurs when the cell producing the messenger expresses receptors to respond to the
messenger
Paracrine signaling is more limited as they cannot travel as far and may be unstable
Endocrine signalling is when the messenger molecules reach target cells through the bloodstream. These
messengers are called hormones and they act on target cells
-Cells can only respond to extracellular messages if they have receptors that will recognize and bind to the
messenger molecule. The molecule that binds to the receptor is a ligand.
-Activities a cell engages in depends on stimuli as well as intracellular machinery.
-Two major routes of signalling for cells:
Type One: A receptor sends a signal to an enzyme which sends a secondary messenger which will activate
or inactivate specific proteins.
Type Two: Receptor will send a signal by transforming the cytoplasmic domain into a station for proteins to
interact with each other.
-Alterations to signaling proteins are often caused by protein kinases or phosphatases which add or remove
phosphate groups from proteins
-Protein phosphorylation changes protein behaviour by activating or inactivating an enzyme, increasing or
decreasing protein-protein interactions, inducing a protein to move from one compartment to another
initiating protein degradation.
Signal transduction is defined by the way information carried by extracellular messenger molecules is
translated into changes within a cell. Almost all activity a cell engages in is from signals originating on its
surface.
Extracellular Messengers
-Large variety of molecules can be carriers of information such as:
Amino acids and their derivatives: Neurotransmitters and hormones
Gases: NO, CO
Steroids: Made from cholesterol
Eicosanoids: non polar molecules from fatty acid which regulates pain, inflammation, blood clotting etc.
Polypeptides and proteins
-Receptors that mediate signal transduction are:
G-protein coupled receptors: Huge family containing trans membrane helices which activate GTP binding
proteins that are responsible for many processes.
Receptor protein tyrosine kinases
Ligand gated channels: Conduct flow of ions are membrane

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Cell Signalling and Signal Transduction: Chapter 10 September-22-13 10:35 PM Cell Signaling and Signal Transduction -Extracellular messenger molecules communicate between cells -Messengers can travel short distances and stimulate close cells, or they can travel through the body to stimulate cells that are farther away -Many different ways for cells to signal: Autocrine Signalling occurs when the cell producing the messenger expresses receptors to respond to the messenger Paracrine signaling is more limited as they cannot travel as far and may be unstable Endocrine signalling is when the messenger molecules reach target cells through the bloodstream. These messengers are called hormones and they act on target cells -Cells can only respond to extracellular messages if they have receptors that will recognize and bind to the messenger molecule. The molecule that binds to the receptor is a ligand. -Activities a cell engages in depends on stimuli as well as intracellular machinery. -Two major routes of signalling for cells: Type One: A receptor sends a signal to an enzyme which sends a secondary messenger which will activate or inactivate specific proteins. Type Two: Receptor will send a signal by transforming the cytoplasmic domain into a station for proteins to interact with each other. -Alterations to signaling proteins are often caused by protein kinases or phosphatases which add or remove phosphate groups from proteins -Protein phosphorylation changes protein behaviour by activating or inactivating an enzyme, increasing or decreasing protein-protein interactions, inducing a protein to move from one compartment to another initiating protein degradation. Signal transduction is defined by the way information carried by extracellular messenger molecules is translated into changes within a cell. Almost all activity a cell engages in is from signals originating on its surface. Extracellular Messengers -Large variety of molecules can be carriers of information such as: Amino acids and their derivatives: Neurotransmitters and hormones Gases: NO, CO Steroids: Made from cholesterol Eicosanoids: non polar molecules from fatty acid which regulates pain, inflammation, blood clotting etc. Polypeptides and proteins -Receptors that mediate signal transduction are: G-protein coupled receptors: Huge family containing trans membrane helices which activate GTP binding proteins that are responsible for many processes. Receptor protein tyrosine kinases Ligand gated channels: Conduct flow of ions are membrane Steroid hormone receptors: increases or decreases gene transcription rate B and T Cell receptor: Involved in foreign antigen response Apoptosis: Programmed Cell Death -Orderly process -Different from necrosis which is cell death by trauma or biochemical insult. Necrosis causes swelling of cell and organelles, leaking of contents and inflammation. -Apoptosis is involved in the elimination of cells that have genomic damage which is important as if these cells are not eliminated, unregulated cell division and cancer may occur -Caspases are activated early on in apoptosis and trigger most of the changes that cause cell death Intrinsic pathway of apoptosis: Internal stimuli, such as genetic damage, lack of oxygen, high concentrations o
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit