Computing and Information Science
Course
CIS 1000
Professor
Jing Yu Zhu
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 4 Application Software Programs That Let you Work and Play The Nuts and Bolts of SoftwareA computer system does nothing without softwareWhat is Software Software refers to a set of instructions that tells the computer what to so Program an instruction set that provides a means for us to interact with and use the computer Two types 1 Application software software used to do tasks at home school and work a Productivity word processing spreadsheet presentation database personal finance note taking b Media image audio and video editing media management c HomeEntertainment gaming education drawing d Business home large and specialized business 2 System software software such as Windows and Mac OS X which help run the computer and coordinate instructions between application software and the computers hardware devicesa Includes operating system and utility programs Productivity Software for Home and Office Productivity software includes programs that enable you to perform various tasks required at home school and business Word Processing SoftwareWhat is the best software to use to create general documents Word processing software used to create and edit documentsAre there free of more affordable alternatives Open source software is a program code that is publically available and has few restrictions OpenOffice and AbiWordbecoming popular because they are free Proprietary software neither free nor open source Webbased applications can be accessed from any computer that has an Internet connection are great for collaborating and coordinating input from a variety of users on a single document How do I control the way my documents look By using the formatting options Font sizes and styles add color to text adjust margins add borders insert bulleted and numbered lists organize text into columns insert pictures add graphics etcWhat special tools do word processing programs have Most applications come with spelling and grammar checks and a thesaurusSearchandreplace tool allows you to search for text in document and automatically replace it with other textCan translate words or phrases into another language Spreadsheet SoftwareWhy would I need to use spreadsheet software Spreadsheet software Microsoft Excel enables you to do calculations and numerical analysis easily How do I use spreadsheet software Basic element is the worksheet consisting of columns and rows Form individual boxes called cells Can enter several types of data into a cello Text any combinations of letters numbers symbols and spaces o Values numerical data often used for calculationso Formulas equations that you build yourself using addition subtraction multiplication and division o Functions formulas that are preprogrammed into the spreadsheet software Primary benefit of spreadsheet software is its ability to recalculate all functions and formulas in the spreadsheet automatically when vales for some of the inputs change Whatifanalysis can quickly test different assumptions in the same analysisWhat kinds of graphs and charts can I create with spreadsheet software Easier to see meaning of numerical information when shown in graphical format such as a chartTypes of charts can have 3D effects 1 Basic column charts 2 Pie charts 3 Line charts 4 Stock charts 5 Scatter charts 6 Custom charts 7 SparklinesAre spreadsheets used for anything besides financial analysis Programs can often solve problems that formerly required custom programming Many spreadsheet applications also have database capabilities and can sort filter and group dataPresentation Software
More Less

Related notes for CIS 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit