Computing and Information Science
Course
CIS 1200
Professor
John Saville
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter seven: Networking: Connecting Computer Devices Networking Fundamentals What is a computer network? Networks is two or more computers connected via software and hardware so that they can communicate with each other Each device connected to a network is called a node - Can be a computer, a peripheral, a game console, digital video recorder, or a communications device What are the benefits of networks? To facilitate resource sharing Allow you to share peripheral devices such as printers Besides peripheral and Internet connections, does networking facilitate any other types of resource sharing? Can easily share files between networked computers without using portable storage Can set sharing options in Windows or OS X - Allows user to access files stored on any other computer on the network - Public folders can be accessed by any computer on the network Computers running different operating systems (Windows vs OS X) can communicate on the same network Are there disadvantages to setting up a network? Networks involve purchase of additional equipment Networks must me administered Network administration involves 1. Installing new computers and devices 2. Monitoring the network to ensure it is performing efficiently 3. Updating and installing new software on the network 4. Configuring or setting up proper security for a network Network Architectures Network architecture refers to the design of a network - Are classified according to the way in which they are controlled and the distance between their nodes Describing Networks Based on Network Administration What different types of control do I have over my network? Can me managed in two ways 1. Locally: configuration and maintenance of the network must be performed on each individual computer attached to the network (ex. Peer-to-peer) 2. Centrally: tasks can be performed from one computer and affect the other computers on the network (ex. Client/server) What is a peer-to-peer network? Peer-to-peer (P2P) network each node connected to the network can communicate directly with every other node on the network What are client/server networks? Client/server network contains two different types of computers 1. Client a computer on which users accomplish specific tasks and make specific requests 2. Sever the computer that provides information or resources to the client computers on the network (ex. The Internet) Are client/server networks used as home networks? They can be configured for a home but P2P are used more often because they cost less and are easier to maintain Home network server is designed to store media, share media, and back up files on computers connected to the network - All computers connected to
More Less

Related notes for CIS 1200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit