Computing and Information Science
Course
CIS 1200
Professor
John Saville
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 8- Digital Lifestyle: Managing Digital Data and Devices A Digital Lifestyle When did everything go “digital”? Everything used to be analog What is special about digital? Digitized is information that is measured and converted to a stream of numeric values Analog -waves that illustrate the loudness of a sound or the brightness of the colors in an image at a given moment in time (long continuous waves) What advantages do digital formats have over analog ones? Digital formats describe signals as long strings of numbers  Can be reproduced exactly  Can be distributed easily How can a sequence of numbers express complicated analog shapes? Analog-to-digital conversion- the incoming analog signal is measured many times each second How has the change from analog to digital technologies affected our lifestyle? New useful capabilities  Small devices holding large amounts of info  Can efficiently interact with info anytime Digital Technology: Communicating with Bits Telephony is the use of equipment to provide voice communications overs a distance **VoIP (voice over internet protocol) Cell Phones and Smartphones What are cell phones and smartphones? Cellular phone is a telephone that operates over a wireless network. Cell phones can offer Internet access, text messaging, personal information management (PIM) features and more Smartphone is a device that combines the functionality of a cell phone, PMP, and a PDA into one unit How do cell phones use digital signals? Analog-to-digital converter chip converts your voice’s sound waves into digital signals Digital signal processor is a specialized chip that processes digital information and transmits signals very quickly What’s “cellular” about a cell phone? Order during outgoing call (opposite for incoming call): 1. Base transceiver station is a large communications tower with antennas, amplifiers, receivers and transmitters 2. Mobile switching center is a central location that receives cell phone requests for service from a base station Are cell phones and smartphones considered computers? Have same components as computers  CPU  Memory  Input and output devices  Require own OS What does the processor inside a cell/smartphone do? 1. Coordinates sending all of data among the other electronic components inside the phone 2. Run’s cell phones OS Is there a standard OS for cell phones? OS changes upon cell phone manufacturers Many smartphones use Windows Mobile OS Apples iPhone uses OS X that is used in Apple’s personal computers What does the memory chip inside a cell phone do? The OS is stored in ROM (permanent) Full-featured cell phones have as many as 200MB of internal memory Micro SD flash cards hold up to 32 GB What input and output devices do cell phones use? Input:  Microphone  Keypad  Touch-sensitive screen  Digital camera Output:  Speaker  Liquid crystal display (LCD)  OLED (organic light-emitting diode) What cell phone and smart phone software is available? To-do list, contact manager, calendar, various games, tools, Some smartphones include Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint How do I move music from my computer to my smartphone? Some phones have flash cards that can be put into flash card reader in computer USB connector that connects to USB port on phone How do I synchronize a cell phone with a computer? Syncing or synchronizing is known as the process of updating your data so that the files on your cell phone and computer are the same To do this place the cell phone in its cradle (or attach to computer with USB cable) and touch a “sync” button Can I transfer files wirelessly? YES. Bluetooth technology uses radio waves to transmit data signals over short distances Is there a way to synchronize to my home computer before I get home? YES, using web services “Cloud computing” where internet-based services and resources are distributed to users instead of being installed as an application on the user’s computer Example, MobileMe from Apple Text Messaging What is text messaging? Short message service (SMS) is a technology that allows you to send short text messages over mobile networks How does SMS work? Uses cell phone network to transmit messages When you send a message:  SMS calling center receives the message and delivers it to the appropriate mobile device using something called store-and-forward technology  This technology allows users to send SMS messages to any other SMS device in the world Can I send and receive multimedia files using a cell phone? Multimedia message service (MMS) allows you to send messages that include text, sound, images, and video clips to other phones or e-mail addresses Internet Connectivity How do I get Internet service for my smart phone? Wireless internet service provider (wireless ISP) is needed as well as a data plan which is known as a connectivity plan or text messaging plan At what speed is digital information transferred to my smartphone? At home it is often 50 megabits per second (Mbps) Two types of smartphones: 1. Enhanced data rate for global evolution (EDGE) 2. 3G Smartphones with EDGE or 3G can be as fast as 1.4 Mbps EDGE and 3G are more reliable and less susceptible to interference 4G has speeds of up to 100 Mbps How can I survive when I find I have no WiFi signal? MiFi are available free with a new account from major Internet providers like Version or Sprint  It connects to the Internet through the 3G wireless phone network and then distributes the WiFi signal over an area of 30 feet  Can support up to 5 WiFi enables devices  “Bluetooth tethering” makes sure your computer can access the Internet even when it tells you there are no available wireless networks as long as you have 3G signal How do smartphones display content from the Internet? Microbrowser software provides a Web browser that is optimized to display Web content efficiently on the smaller screen Ex. Internet Explorer Mobile, Safari on the iPhone, Opera Mobile  Opera Mobile uses special small-screen rendering technology to reformat the Web images to fit on smartphone screen, then zooms with a special tap Wireless markup language (WML) is a format for writing content viewed on a cellular phone or personal digital assistant (PDA) that is text-based and contains no graphics Can I keep my e-mail up to date using my cell phone? Blackberry handhelds were the first devices, which were optimized to check e-mail  “Push” technology to automatically deliver e-mail to phone Can access email through Gmail or Yahoo Voice over Internet Protocol How is VoIP different from regular telephone service? VoIP is a form of voice-based Internet communication that turns a standard Internet connection into a means to place phone calls, including long-distance calls What do I need to use VoIP? Speakers, a microphone, and Internet connection, and a VoIP provider May need to download a software depending on provider Ex. Skype, Vonage What are the advantages and disadvantages of VoIP? Advantages:  free or low cost  portability, keep in touch with friends and family no matter where you are Disadvantages:  poor sound quality and reliability  loss of service if power is interrupted  911 calls used to be incapable of tracing back to caller  security risks What new features come with having an Internet-based digital phone at home? Telephone messages bundled up as emails and sent to your account Caller ID information available Cell Phone/ Smartphone Security Can I get a virus on my cellphone/smartphone? YES. Cell/smartphones are the next most likely realm of attack by cybercriminals Antivirus software providers:  Symantec, McAfee, and F-secure How do I keep my cell/smartphone number private? Virtual phone number is a phone number you create that can be assigned to ring on existing phone numbers. Available at tossabledigits.com) Digital Media and Information How is digital media created? Process: 1. Playing music creates analog waves 2. Microphone feeds sounds waves into a chip called an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) inside the recording device 3. ADC digitizes the waves into a series of numbers 4. This series of numbers can be recorded onto CDs and DVDs or sent electronically 5. On receiving end, a playback device like a CD or DVD player is fed that same series of numbers. A digital-to-analog converter (DAC) converts digital numbers to a continuous analog wave 6. Analog wave tells the receiver how to move the speaker cones to reproduce the original waves Sampling rate specifies the number of times the analog wave is measures each second Digital Music How can I carry music files easily? Portable media players (PMPs) are small portable devices that enable you to carry your MP3 f
More Less

Related notes for CIS 1200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit