chpt 4.pdf

13 Pages

Department
Computing and Information Science
Course Code
CIS 1200
Professor
John Saville

This preview shows pages 1,2,3. Sign up to view the full 13 pages of the document.
Description
Chapter 4: Application Software: Programs That Let you Work and Play The Nuts and Bolts of Software **A computer system does nothing without software What is Software? Software: refers to a set of instructions that tells the computer what to so Program: an instruction set that provides a means for us to interact with and use the computer Two types 1. Application software: software used to do tasks at home, school and work a. Productivity: word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, personal finance, note taking b. Media: image, audio, and video editing, media management c. Home/Entertainment: gaming, education, drawing d. Business: home, large, and specialized business 2. System software: software such as Windows and Mac OS X, which help run the computer and coordinate instructions between application software and the  computer’s  hardware  devices   a. Includes: operating system and utility programs Productivity Software for Home and Office Productivity software: includes programs that enable you to perform various tasks required at home, school, and business. Word Processing Software What is the best software to use to create general documents? Word processing software: used to create and edit documents Are there free of more affordable alternatives? Open source software: is a program code that is publically available and has few restrictions - OpenOffice and AbiWord ▯ becoming popular because they are free Proprietary software: neither free nor open source Web-based applications: can be accessed from any computer that has an Internet connection, are great for collaborating and coordinating input from a variety of users on a single document How do I control the way my documents look? By using the formatting options - Font sizes and styles, add color to text, adjust margins, add borders, insert bulleted and numbered lists, organize text into columns, insert pictures, add graphics, etc What special tools do word processing programs have? Most applications come with spelling and grammar checks and a thesaurus Search-and-replace tool allows you to search for text in document and automatically replace it with other text Can translate words or phrases into another language Spreadsheet Software Why would I need to use spreadsheet software? Spreadsheet software: (Microsoft Excel) enables you to do calculations and numerical analysis easily How do I use spreadsheet software? Basic element is the worksheet consisting of columns and rows - Form individual boxes called cells - Can enter several types of data into a cell o Text: any combinations of letters, numbers, symbols, and spaces o Values: numerical data, often used for calculations o Formulas: equations that you build yourself using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division o Functions: formulas that are preprogrammed into the spreadsheet software Primary benefit of spreadsheet software is its ability to recalculate all functions and formulas in the spreadsheet automatically when vales for some of the inputs change What-if-analysis: can quickly test different assumptions in the same analysis What kinds of graphs and charts can I create with spreadsheet software? Easier to see meaning of numerical information when shown in graphical format such as a chart Types of charts (can have 3D effects) 1. Basic column charts 2. Pie charts 3. Line charts 4. Stock charts 5. Scatter charts 6. Custom charts 7. Sparklines Are spreadsheets used for anything besides financial analysis? Programs can often solve problems that formerly required custom programming Many spreadsheet applications also have database capabilities and can sort, filter, and group data Presentation Software What software do I use to create presentations? Presentation software: used to create dynamic slide shows - Can produce high-quality presentations without a lot of training - Can embed online videos, change colors, add effects, trim video clips without the need for a separate video editing program How do I create a presentation? Slide layouts: give the option of using a single or double column of bulleted text, various combinations of bulleted text, clip aft, graphs, photos, video clips Can have a theme to presentation by choosing a design template Can use animation effects Can add slide transitions and effects Database Software How can I use database software? Database software: powerful applications that allow you to store and organize data Spreadsheet applications include database features - Can be used for sorting, filtering, and organizing data Are organized into data catagories - Fields:  “First  Name”  “Last  Name” - Records: collection of related fields - Tables: group related records How do you benefit when businesses use database software? Online databases allow customers to track status of a package Businesses use databases to keep track of clients, invoices, personal information Note Taking Software Is there software to help students with note taking? There are many programs that help students organize and maintain lecture notes Microsoft OneNote allows students with Tablet PCs to write their notes directly onto the tablet using an electronic notebook Are there free or portable note taking applications? Evernote allows you to take notes via the Web, your phone, or your computer and then sync your notes between the Web, your phone and any computer - Can save text, audio and images Stickynotes are digital equivalents to paper sticky notes Personal Information Manager (PIM) Software Which applications should I use to manage my time, contact lists, and tasks? Ex. Microsoft Office, Lotus Organizer, Chandler - Strive to replace management tools found on the traditional desk Are there Web-based PIM programs? - Yahoo! - Google - AOL Productivity Software Features What tools can help me work more efficiently with productivity software? - Wizard is a systematic guide that walks you through the steps necessary to complete a complicated task o Are guided by a wizard when you install software - Template is a predesigned form, they provide the basic structure for a particular and of document, spreadsheet, or presentation o Page layouts, formatting, and styles - Macro is a small program that groups a series of commands so they will run as a single command Integrated Software Applications What’s  an  integrated  software  application?   Integrated software application is a single software program that incorporates the most commonly used tools of many productivity software programs into a single integrated program (*software light) - Ex. Microsoft Work Why would I use an integrated software application instead of individual stand- alone programs? Are  good  if  you  don’t  need  the  advanced  features  found  in  the  individual  full  version Integrated is less expensive Software Suites What’s  a  software  suite? Software suite is a group of software programs that have been bundles as a package Can buy for - Productivity - Graphics - Virus protection Three primary developers 1. Microsoft 2. Corel 3. Apple Which applications do productivity software suites contain? Most contain word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and PIM software May also contain database programs and desktop publishing software What are the advantages of software suites? Less expensive than purchasing programs individually When they come in bundles the programs work well together because they are from the same company and share common features Personal Financial Software What software can I use to prepare my taxes? Tax preparation software enables you to prepare your state and federal taxes on your own instead of hiring a professional - Have complete set of tax forms and instructions and videos - Have a built in error check - Offer financial planning advice Which software can I use to help keep track of my personal finances? Financial planning software helps you manage your daily finances - Intuit Quicken and Microsoft Money Include electronic checkbook registers, automatic bill payment tools Can schedule automatic online payments All transactions are recoded Coordinate with tax preparation software Media Software for Home Multimedia software includes image, video, and audio editing software, animation software Digital Image Editing Software What  can  I  do  with  a  digital  image  that  I  can’t  do  with  a  photograph? Once image information is in digital format it can be used with all other software What software can I use to edit my photos? Image editing software enables you to edit photographs and other images Includes tools for basic modifications to digital images - Removing red eye, modifying contrast, sharpness, color casts, removing scratches or rips from scanned images - Include painting tools; brushes, pens, artistic media Ex. Adobe Photoshop, Corel PaintShop Pro Photo Can a nonprofessional use image-editing software? Some programs are geared toward the casual home user Digital Audio Software Why would I have digital audio files on my computer? Novels, newspapers, and radio shoes can all be purchased as audio files Audio files are also available through podcasting (over the Internet) You can compose your own song with virtual instruments, voice recorders, synthesizers, special audio effects Why are MP3 files so popular? MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3) a type of audio compression format that reduces the file size of traditional digital audio files so that they will take up less storage capacity - Is also a standard of digital audio compression which has made it possible to transfer and play back music on a personal media player Ex. Ogg Vorbis is a free open source audio compression format alternative Most digital audio software programs support one of the following functions 1. MP3 recoding allows you to record directly from streaming audio and other software or microphone source to MP3 format 2. CD ripping allows you to copy or extract CDs and encode to MP3 format 3. CD burning allows you to create your own CDs from MP3 collection 4. Encoding and decoding done by encoders, programs that convert files to MP3 format at varying levels of quality 5. Format conversion programs allow you to convert MP3 files to other digital audio formats such as WAV (Waveform audio format), WMA (Windows Media Audio), AIFF (Audio Interchange File Format) Can I edit audio files? Audio editing software enables you to perform basic editing tasks - Cutting dead air space from beginning or end of song, or cutting from middle - Can add special sound effects (echo, bass boost, remove static) Digital Video Editing Software What kind of software do I need to edit my digital videos? Digital video editing software offers range of special effects and tools Does video editing software support all kinds of video files? Come in a number of formats - Flash video, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VCD, SVCD, DVD, AVI, WMV, MOV, AVCHD *AVCHD (Advanced Video Coding High Definition) is a format for high-definition video In what format are the videos I watch on my portable media player? They are in the MP4 format - Stores digital audio and digital video streams, text for subtitles and still images - Compresses the audio and video content into a more manageable file size Media Management Software How do I manage the audio, video and image files on my system? Your hard drive is a convenient place to store music and images Are there Web-based programs available to edit, share and store my photos? Digital images can easily be shared via the Internet - Ex. Snapfish, Kodak, Shutterfly, Flickr, Google Picasa Software Fun for Home Entertainment software is designed to provide users with thrills, chills, and fun, include virtual reality programs that turn artificial environments into a realistic experience Gaming Software Do I need special equipment to run entertainment software? Your computer needs to have; - Enough processing power, memory (RAM), and hard drive capacity to run the program - Appropriate sound cards, video cards, speakers, monitor, and CD/DVD drives Many games require specialized controllers How do I tell what computer fames are appropriate for a certain user? Entertainment software rating board (ESRB) is a self-regulatory body established in 1994 by the Entertainment Software Association - Helps consumers choose the computer and vi
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2,3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit