Computing and Information Science
Course
CIS 1500
Professor
Michael Wirth
Semester
Fall

Description
CIS*1500 School of Computer Science Introduction to Programming Due: Sept. 25 ASSIGNMENT 1 4% 2012 Rolling Resistance of Trains A railway vehicle moving across level track, in still air and constant speed is still subject to resistances which must be overcome by the tractive effort of the locomotive. These resistances include rolling friction between wheel and rail, bearing resistance, train dynamic losses, and air resistance. In 1926, W.J.Davis proposed one of the first formulas for computing tractive resistance. In 1990, Canadian National produced another version of the train resistance equation which has produced reliable results in train performance calculations. 18N CaV 2 R r1 .5 × +0 .03V +  W 10000W  where R = the rolling resistance of vehicle in lb per ton r N = number of axles W = total weight in tons of locomotive or car V = velocity of train in mph C = streamlining coefficient a = the cross-sectional area of the locomotive or car in square feet For example, consider the following values for C, a, and W: Type of equipment C coefficient Area (square feet) Weight (lbs) Leading freight locomotive 24.0 160 416,000 Box car 4.9 140 211,800 Tank car 5.5 95 263,000 Hopper car 7.1 125 286,000 For example, a box car (211,800 lbs = 105.9 tons) with 4 axles, moving at 13.7 mph would have a rolling resistance of 1.552 lbs per ton, or (1.552 times 105.9 tons) = 164.36 lbs. This essentially means that if the rolling resistance is 1.552 pounds per ton, then it would take a pull of 1.552 pounds to keep one ton of train moving forward. Task Write a program to calculate the rolling resistance of a particular part of a train. Note the following constraints on input and output. 1. The total weight of the railcar or locomotive is to be input in pounds instead of tons. 2. Weight input cannot be input as 200,000, but rather 200000. 3. Input should indicate the type of units - e.g. pounds, miles per hour, etc. 4. Output should be expressed to 3 decimal places. Use the following program skeleton: > h . o i d t s < e d u l c n i▯# ) d i o v ( n i a m t n▯i ▯{ s n o i t a r a l c e d e l b a i r a v / / ▯ t u p n i r e s u / / ▯ s n o i t a l u c l a c / / ▯ t u p t u o r e s u / / ▯ ; 0 n r u t e r ▯
More Less

Related notes for CIS 1500

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit