Behavior: any muscular, glandular, or electrical activity in an organism
Dimensions of behavior: Characteristics of behavior that can be measured
Why use general summery labels?
1. they may be useful for quickly providing general information about how an
individual might perform.
2. the labels may imply that a particular treatment program will be helpful.
1. they may lead to pseudo-explanations of behavior (pseudo means false).
2. labels can negatively affect the way an individual might be treated.
3. may direct focus to an individual's problem behaviors rather than to their strengths.
Better to define all types of problems in terms of behavioral deficits or excesses because
1. helps avoid the problems of using general summary labels.
2. regardless of the labels attached to an individual, it is behavior that causes concern--
and behavior that must be treated to alleviate the problem.
the point at which a particular behavior is considered deficient or excessive is determined
primarily by the practices of one's culture and the ethical views of concerned individuals.
Some behavioral excesses are inappropriate no matter what the context
Behavior modification: involves the systematic application of learning principles and
techniques to assess and improve individuals' covert and overt behaviors in order to
enhance their daily functioning.
Important characteristic of behavior modification
1. its strong emphasis on defining problems in terms of behavior that can be measured
in some way and using changes in the behavioral measure of the problem as the best
indicator of the extent to which the problem is being helped.
2. its treatment procedures and techniques are ways of altering an individual's current
environment to help that individual function more fully.
One difference between behavior modifiers and talk therapists
1. behavior modifier is frequently actively involved in restructuring a client's daily
environment to strengthen appropriate behavior rather than spending a great deal
of time discussing the client's past experiences.
2. behavior modifier frequently gives homework assignments to clients in which they
change their own everyday environments for therapeutic purpose
3. behavior modification is that its methods and rationales can be described precisely.
behavior modification is that the techniq