FRHD 2060 Chapter Notes - Chapter 13: Euthanasia, Palliative Care, Prolonged Grief Disorder

64 views13 pages

Document Summary

Chapter 13: dying and bereavement: thanatology: the study of death, dying, grief, bereavement and social attitudes toward these issues. Sociocultural definitions of death: many possible meanings; all cultures have their own views about the meaning of death, e. g. Melanesian term mate includes the extremely sick, very old and the dead; term toe refers to all other living people: e. g. Physician-assisted suicide: physician-assisted suicide (pas): physicians provide dying patients with a fatal dose of medication that the patient self-administers. Life-course approach to dying: feelings about dying vary across the life course. Dealing with one"s own death: dying trajectories vary across diseases i. e. lung cancer has a clear and rapid period of de(cid:272)li(cid:374)e (cid:862)te(cid:396)(cid:373)i(cid:374)al phase(cid:863); so(cid:373)e diseases ha(cid:448)e (cid:374)o (cid:272)lea(cid:396) (cid:862)te(cid:396)(cid:373)i(cid:374)al phase(cid:863) The grief process: no right way to grieve; described as reflecting many themes and issues people confront that may be expressed through rituals.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers