Tim Mau (9)

Discussion Reflection Two.docx

7 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
Political Science
POLS 3250
Tim Mau

1 Discussion Reflection Three Madison Rahal O754606 POLS*3300 DE Governing Criminal Justice C. Derferd Group 3 October 21 , 2012 2 In participating in the Governing Criminal Justice discussions over the past few weeks, I believe that I was able to verify many of my opinions and better understand the perspective from which my group members were sharing their views. Through the integration of new group members, there were many new thoughts and opinions brought into question. These past few units have been centered on key actors in the Criminal Justice system and the different ways they are integrated into society. For example, in my Unit 4 discussion, we talked about the Supreme Court of Canada and its control over policy and legislation oppose to the USA model. When the discussion arose about the effectiveness of new legislation within the jail system, I agreed with many of my peers on the matter of correctional officers neglecting new legislation. It was interesting to learn through Alexander Ogilvie’s response that there is a movement where prisoners are having more rights than correctional officers. This led me to the same thought as Alexander when questioning whether the Supreme Court should be focusing on the betterment of prisoners or officers. This discussion opened my mind to the course material and particularly Rosenberg’s article where he states that courts do not always understand the goals of the police. In my Unit 5 discussion about if there should be a policy against disclosure of investigations during election campaigns, I realized that many of my group members had a consensus view that the public has a right to know about criminal investigations involving government officials. It was interesting to learn through Curtis Nairn’s post that “it's important to not just think about the repercussions false accusations would have an a person's career but also their personal life”. Before this post, I never thought of the impacts these cases have on the individual’s life, not just their career. This discussion did 3 not necessarily alter my previous thoughts, but further solidified my views. In Unit 6, I learned a great deal about contrasting opinions between the state and its involvement in the public and private sector policing. Through the discussion between Erinn Mclean and Shannyn Stevens, there were contrasting views to my post where I stated that the main problem is that police are not accountable for their actions and an institution could make them accountable . After participating in the discussions with these two peers, I started to change my views on my previous opinions. When Erinn asked the question, “where could we find a group like this, and how we could implement such a practice?” it made me expand my thoughts beyond course material and try to come up with an institution, which would be effective. To my surprise, both group members gave great insight into their views and ultimately changed the way I thought about my first opinions. In participating within these unit discussions, I believe that many of the questions and arguments posed between the group members verified my beliefs and for the first time, altered my previous thoughts. In the past few weeks have learned many new ideas and concepts from course material and have incorporated aspects of the readings into the discussion posts. Through the opinions of my peers in the discussion, I believe I have expanded my thoughts to broader my opinions on many of the key actors in the Criminal Justice System. Even though I believe I contributed to the overall discussions effectively, midterms and assignments got in the way of putting enough detail and depth into posting early in the week. I find that this too has effected many of my group members and the in-depth discussions we had in the first three weeks of the course. Based on this evidence and after reviewing this reflection, I believe that I would give myself an 8 out of 10. 4 Total Number of Dates Messages Posted Unit Number Messages Posted 7 Messages October 22 2012 7 October 22 2012 7 th October 22 2st2 7 November 1 2012 8 November 1 2012 8 November 7 2012 9 st November 7 th12 9 Total Number of 4 Messages October 22 2012 7 Replies to Group October 22 2012 7 Discussion November 1 2012 8 November 7 2012 9 Unit 7 - Best Post In the Doe article, it is evident that the victim at hand explains many of the characteristics that most if not all of us think a typical court case and room would look like. We think that the court room is going to look different at that “ the police and the Crown attorney, lawyers, the victim- assistance people- all present themselves a your guides, your captains”. In reality, the adversarial process is not like this. Yes it operates as a coherent system, however as understood in the article, it does not account largely for the victims. As she stated in the article, her feelings and thoughts were simply unimportant attachments to the crime. What she experienced was simply grouped into several other women. By the end of the trial she was not satisfied with the plea bargain of a twenty- year sentence. I think in this situation no one is ever going to be happy with the outcome of a trial, especially since its not the death penalty. Regardless of this, victims should be treated with more respect on the basis of their the ones who have been wronged. After being raped by someone, she shouldn’t have had to go through what she did, all due to the legal system. The main problem with the adversarial process is that it does not take into account the impact on the victim. Like in the Doe article, the author explains that the Crown attorney assigned to your case expects you to speak in his language, and any instinctive knowledge you might have known about what happened to you will be ignored. One way of fixing this problem is attempting to move away from simply following the same procedures and caring about the impact of the situation. Explained in the article, its worse enough having something horrific happen to you like being raped,
More Less

Related notes for POLS 3250

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.