2-Introduction to the Physiology of Perception.docx

14 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 1010
Professor
Anne Bergen

This preview shows pages 1-3. Sign up to view the full 14 pages of the document.
2-Introduction to the Physiology of Perception 01/09/2014
Outline
-Major divisions of nervous system
-Cells of the nervous system
-Neural communication
Nervous System
-A network of nerve cells (aka neurons) that transmit electrochemical responses throughout body
-Two major divisions:
Central
Peripheral
-Central Nervous System (brain and spinal cord)
-Peripheral Nervous System (everything else)
*memorize labels
-Frontal Lobe: where all these senses are integrated
reticular theory: nervous system consisted of a large network of fused nerve cells
neuron theory: nervous system consisted of distinct elements or cells
Doctrine of specific nerve energies: our perceptions depend on “nerve energies” reaching the
brain and that specific quality we experience depends on which nerves are stimulate
The Cells of the Nervous System
-The human nervous system is comprised of two kinds of cells:
Neurons
Cells designed to communicate info throughout the body with chemicals
Respond to stimuli from the environment, and transduce these stimuli into electrical signals
(transduction)
Communicate with other neurons, so that these signals can travel long distances (transmission)
Glia
“caretakers” of the brain (cleansing, regulates blood flow, etc.)
change the way we think
-In this course we focus on neurons:
Approx 100 billion neurons linked via 100 trillion connections!
What is the cell structure of a neuron?
Are there different types of neurons?
What purpose do they serve?
-Key components of neurons:
Cell body
Contains mechanisms to keep the cell alive
Dendrites
Info is going to come into the cell from other neurons through dendrites
Branch out from the cell body to receive electrical signals from other neurons
Axon (CNS) or nerve fiber (PNS)
Sends info out at the axon
Filled with fluid that conducts electrical signals
-Dendrites: branching fibers with a surface lined with synaptic receptors responsible for bringing information
into the neuron
-Cell body: contains the nucleus, mitochondria, ribosomes, and other structures common to most cells
Also responsible for the metabolic work of the neuron
-Axon: think fiber of a neuron responsible for transmitting nerve impulses toward other neurons, organs, or
muscles
The Cells of the Nervous System
-Neurons vary in size, shape, and function
-The function is closely related to the shape of the neuron

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
2IntroductiontothePhysiologyofPerception01092014OutlineMajordivisionsofnervoussystemCellsofthenervoussystemNeuralcommunicationNervousSystemAnetworkofnervecellsakaneuronsthattransmitelectrochemicalresponsesthroughoutbodyTwomajordivisionsCentralPeripheralCentralNervousSystembrainandspinalcordPeripheralNervousSystemeverythingelsememorizelabelsFrontalLobewhereallthesesensesareintegratedreticulartheorynervoussystemconsistedofalargenetworkoffusednervecellsneurontheorynervoussystemconsistedofdistinctelementsorcellsDoctrineofspecificnerveenergiesourperceptionsdependonnerveenergiesreachingthebrainandthatspecificqualityweexperiencedependsonwhichnervesarestimulateTheCellsoftheNervousSystemThehumannervoussystemiscomprisedoftwokindsofcellsNeuronsCellsdesignedtocommunicateinfothroughoutthebodywithchemicalsRespondtostimulifromtheenvironmentandtransducethesestimuliintoelectricalsignalstransductionCommunicatewithotherneuronssothatthesesignalscantravellongdistancestransmissionGliacaretakersofthebraincleansingregulatesbloodflowetcchangethewaywethink
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit