Chapter 12- Aggression March 10 2014
How do biological factors influence aggression?
- Two instinct and evolutionary theorys that predict aggression:
• Freud’s death wish
• Lorenz’s instinct theory of aggression
- Impact of genetics and horomes on rates of aggression
- Male inmates with higher levels of testosterone are more likely than those with
lower levels of testosterone to have committed crimes against a person than
property crimes, and are more likely to have violated rules in prison
How do psychological factors influence aggression?
- Frustration-aggression theory
• Displacement and relative deprivation
• Critiques of this theory
- The impact on aggression of negative affect
• Other negative conditions
• Aggressive cues
- How social learning theory explains aggression, the influence of modeling and
- People who completed a survey in a room with a weapon recommended longer
prison sentences than those who were in a room with a piece of sports equipment
How do the media influence aggression?
- Four factors that explain the link between media exposure and aggression
• Priming of aggressive thoughts and feelings
• Physiological arousal
- Playing violent games leads to more aggression than playing nonviolent games,
especially for men
How can we reduce aggression?
- Strategies for reducing aggression:
• Punishing aggressive behaviour
• Modelling non-aggressive responses
• Training in communication and problem-solving skills
• Increasing empathy
- Simply saying sorry to someone you’ve harmed (even unintentionally) reduces
How does culture relate to aggression?