Psychology
Course
PSYC 2330
Professor
Stephen Lewis
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter 4: Theoretical & Measurement Issues In Trait Psychology Personality Psychology January 24 2012 Theoretical Issues - Trait theories of personality offer a collection of viewpoints about the fundamental building blocks of human nature. - Many differences in trait theories, and what are the best methods for discovering basic traits. - Despite their differences, trait theories share three important assumptions about personality traits: 1. Meaningful Differences Between Individuals - Trait psychologists are primarily interested in determining the ways in which people are different from each other. 2. Stability Over Time - The assumption that there is a degree of consistency in personality over time. - i.e. If someone is highly extraverted during one period of observation, trait psychologists tend to assume that he or she will be extraverted tomorrow, next week, a year from now, or even decades from now. - Rank Order: Within an age group, how does a person’s trait rank against someone else. Can help explain why a person who was the most impulsive at an early age is still the most impulsive compared to others today. 3. Consistency Across Situations - The third assumption is that traits will exhibit some consistency across situations. - i.e. if a young man is “really friendly” he is expected to be friendly at work, at school, and during recreational activities. Person-Situation Interactions: Strong Situations: Almost all people react similarly i.e. break up, death in the family, car crash Situational Specificity: Specific reaction to specific situation i.e. a very laid back person who never gets stressed about anything, going up to a person their really attracted to and they get really bad anxiety and nervousness so they start to stumble their words and stress. i.e. not everyone gets nervous for exams but some people do. Situational Selection: the tendency to choose the situations in which one finds oneself. They select the situations which where they will spend their time. i.e. who you choose to be with or who you choose to break up with Evocation: the emotions and reactions you evoke in other people. Manipulation: getting other people to do what you want i.e. parents saying don’t run out on the street and don’t talk to strangers. Aggregation - The process of adding up, or averaging, several single observations, resulting in a better (more reliable) measure of a personality trait than a single observation of behaviour. - Illustrate that personality traits are average tendencies to behave in certain ways. Measurement Issu
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2330

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit