Chapter 2- Developmental Psyc

3 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 2450
Professor
Anneke Olthof

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Developmental Psychology – Chapter 2
A scientific theory is nothing more than a set of concepts and propositions that
describe, organize, and explain a set of observations. These theories help us
organize our thinking about aspects of experience that interest us. Good theories
should be parsimonious(theory that uses fewest explanatory principles to explain
it), falsifiable(capable of generating predictions that could be disconfirmed), and
heuristic(build on existing knowledge and stimulate new discoveries).
Nature vs Nurture: The debate among developmental theorists about the relative
importance of biological predispositions(nature) and environments(nurture) as
determinants of human development.
Active vs Passive: Debate whether children are active contributors to their own
development or, rather passive recipients of environmental influences. The
assumption is that parents have control and are responsible for their child’s
behaviour.
Continuity vs Discontinuity: Debate whether changes are quantitative and
continuous or qualitative and discontinuous. Quantitative is incremental change in
degree without sudden transformations. Qualitative change is a change that makes
people different from what they were before. Discontinuity theorists claim we
progress through developmental stages, phase of life characterized by a set of
abilities, emotions, motives, or behaviours.
The psychosexual theory is Freud’s theory that states maturation of sex instinct
underlies stages of personality development. He relied heavily on methods such as
hypnosis, free association, and dream analysis because they gave indication to
unconscious motives and repressed memories. Instinct is an inborn biological force
that motivates a particular response or class of responses. ID is the term for what is
driven by instincts. Ego is the rational component of personality. Superego is the
component of personality that consists of one’s internalized moral standards.
Fixation is a development at a particular psychosexual stage that can prevent
movement to higher stages(such as sucking thumb can express oral fixation,
leading to smoking or giving oral sex).
Psychosexual Stages
Oral(Age 0-1): Sex instinct centres on the mouth because infants derive pleasure
from oral activities. Anal(1-3): Voluntary urination and defecation become primary
methods of gratifying sex instinct. Toilet accidents can lead to messiness, or being
wasteful. Phallic(3-6): Pleasure is derived from genital stimulation, Oedipus/Electra
complex. Latency(6-11) Traumas of this stage casue sexual conflicts to be
repressed and urges to be rechanneled. Genital(12+): Puberty triggers a
reawakening of sexual urges, must express these urges in socially acceptable ways.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Developmental Psychology – Chapter 2 A scientific theory is nothing more than a set of concepts and propositions that describe, organize, and explain a set of observations. These theories help us organize our thinking about aspects of experience that interest us. Good theories should be parsimonious(theory that uses fewest explanatory principles to explain it), falsifiable(capable of generating predictions that could be disconfirmed), and heuristic(build on existing knowledge and stimulate new discoveries). Nature vs Nurture: The debate among developmental theorists about the relative importance of biological predispositions(nature) and environments(nurture) as determinants of human development. Active vs Passive: Debate whether children are active contributors to their own development or, rather passive recipients of environmental influences. The assumption is that parents have control and are responsible for their child’s behaviour. Continuity vs Discontinuity: Debate whether changes are quantitative and continuous or qualitative and discontinuous. Quantitative is incremental change in degree without sudden transformations. Qualitative change is a change that makes people different from what they were before. Discontinuity theorists claim we progress through developmental stages, phase of life characterized by a set of abilities, emotions, motives, or behaviours. The psychosexual theory is Freud’s theory that states maturation of sex instinct underlies stages of personality development. He relied heavily on methods such as hypnosis, free association, and dream analysis because they gave indication to unconscious motives and repressed memories. Instinct is an inborn biological force that motivates a particular response or class of responses. ID is the term for what is driven by instincts. Ego is the rational component of personality. Superego is the component of personality that consists of one’s internalized moral standards. Fixation is a development at a particular psychosexual stage that can prevent movement to higher stages(such as sucking thumb can express oral fixation, leading to smoking or giving oral sex). Psychosexual Stages Oral(Age 0-1): Sex instinct centres on the mouth because infants derive pleasure from oral activities. Anal(1-3): Voluntary urination and defecation become primary methods of gratifying sex instinct. Toilet accidents can lead to messiness, or being wasteful. Phallic(3-6): Pleasure is derived from genital stimulation, Oedipus/Electra complex. Latency(6-11) Traumas of this stage casue sexual conflicts to be repressed and urges to be rechanneled. Genital(12+): Puberty triggers a reawakening of sexual urges, must express these urges in socially acceptable ways. Psychosocial theory was Erickson’s revision of Freud’s theory that emphasizes socioculture rather than sexual determinants of development and posits a series of 8 psychosocial conflicts that people must resolve to have healthy adjustments. Erickson’s stages Age 0 -1: Basic trust vs. Mistrust: Infants must learn to trust others for their basic needs, if caregivers are rejecting than infant may view place as dangerous. 1-3 years: Autonomy vs. Shame and doubt: Children must be able to feed and dress and look after themselves. Failure will cause the child to feel shameful. 3-6 Years: Initiative vs. Guilt: Children act grown up and take on unnecessary responsibilities, to resolve, child must still feel initiative to do things. 6-12: Industry vs. Inferiority: Master social and academic skills. 12-20 Years:
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit