PSYC 2650 Chapter Notes -Base Rate Fallacy, Necessity And Sufficiency, Representativeness Heuristic

46 views14 pages

Document Summary

Referent what word refers to meaning of word/phrase is linked to word/phrase"s referent: some phrases have no referent refer to things that don"t exist; sometimes word"s reference = temporary or matter of coincidence, word meanings > reference. Many words express single concepts one can understand word"s meaning only if one understands the relevant concepts vocabulary is fluid new words always created, i. e. with new style of music or clothing; email , Geek ; google , spam (verb) language users create variations by adding appropriate morphemes allow use of word in different ways. Syntax rules governing sequence of words in phrase/sentence specify relationships among words in sentence series of abstract rules governing sentence"s structure specify elements that must be inc. + (in many languages) sequence/organization of elements. Prescriptive rules prohibitions, i. e. never to say ain"t ; rules describing how language is supposed to be . Often marked by differences between social classes i. e. upper class speak properly.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers