Psychology
Course
PSYC 2650
Professor
Dan Meegan
Semester
Fall

Description
PSYC2650 – Textbook notes CH 10 (pg 313-37) - To know words must know sound (sequence of phonemes; phonological representation), in literature culture must know orthography (sequence of letters) o + must know how to use word in various phrases governed by rules of syntax o + must know meaning of word semantic representation Referent – what word refers to meaning of word/phrase is linked to word/phrase’s referent o some phrases have no referent refer to things that don’t exist; sometimes word’s reference = temporary or matter of coincidence o word meanings > reference - many words express single concepts one can understand word’s meaning only if one understands the relevant concepts - vocabulary is fluid new words always created, i.e. with new style of music or clothing; “email”, “geek”; “google”, “spam” (verb) o language users create variations by adding appropriate morphemes allow use of word in different ways Generativity – capacity to create an endless series of new combos, all built from same set of fundamental units o know vocabulary of language + how to create new forms within the language (know how to combine morphemes) o not conscious knowledge can’t articulate principles governing sequence of morphemes within word, or why pronounce the way we do - limits to which combos/sequences of words are acceptable/not Syntax – rules governing sequence of words in phrase/sentence  specify relationships among words in sentence  series of abstract rules governing sentence’s structure specify elements that must be inc. + (in many languages) sequence/organization of elements Phrase-structure rules – organization of sentence o sentence always consists of noun phrase + verb phrase (upside- down) tree structure o 2 different phrase structures can lead to same sequence of words o >1 way to interpret sentences shape understanding of sentence Prescriptive rules – prohibitions, i.e. never to say “ain’t”; rules describing how language is “supposed to be”  often marked by differences between social classes i.e. upper class speak properly  avoid being stigmatized/wish for membership in elite = try to use rules  languages change with passage in time proper in one period = different at other, i.e. “thou” 400 yrs ago Descriptive rules – characterizing language as it is ordinarily used by fluent speakers and listeners regularities  track what is/not said in ordinary language use difficult to track absence (don’t know it or just no interest in using it?)  spontaneous speech has performance errors, i.e. change ideas as speak o but know how to repair errors Competence – pattern of skills/knowledge revealed under optimal circumstances  i.e. via linguistic judgements reflect on one structure or another + tell whether structure acceptable/not  vs. performance - sentences generally framed in sequence of actor-action-recipient; often others formats, i.e. for stylistic reason i.e. to convey emphasis, or draw attention; question, comment D-structure – variations of sentences; reflects speaker’s intentions (i.e. question vs. comment)  form/content + processes of translation = complex  past of task for listener/reader = “recovery” from phonemes/letters encountered - languages differ i.e. English = adjectives before noun, Spanish = adjective after noun Linguistic universals – principles applicable to every human language some framed in terms of probabilities (i.e. some sequences of words common, others rare)  every human child learns to speak rapidly sophisticated language use in place by 4  possible that begin with biological heritage that stipulates outline of human language (begin knowing universal rules) learn community based rules Parse – figure out each word’s syntactic role (as hear it) efficient but can lead to errors o may depend on rest of sentence (structure) slowed comprehension but avoid errors  not used in perceiving words pattern in interpreting sentences o influenced by function words that appear in sentence + by various morphemes (i.e. “-ly”, “- ed”) that signal syntactic role  + by semantic factors (not just syntax) sometimes no processing advantage for active form relative to passive - temporary ambiguity common in a sentence early part often open to multiple interpretations, later part clears things up Garden-path sentence – initially led to one interpretation but then turn out to be wrong reject first construal and seek alternative  highlights fact that there’s risk to interpreting sentence as it arrives  assume we will be hearing/reading active sentences (vs. passive) interpret sentence’s initial noun phrase as “doer” of action (vs. recipient)  most sentences we encounter are active easier to understand  in some contexts, passive sentences easier to understand  can be really difficult to comprehend Minimal attachment – guides parsing; listener/reader proceed through sentence seeking simplest phrase structure that will accommodate words heard so far - listeners/readers seem sensitive to certain statistical properties in language if word has several meanings, tend to assume its most frequent meaning when encounter it o + tend to assume adjectives will be followed by nouns not obligatory but frequent - Single, isolated sentence = rare; sentences uttered in some context that can provide important aids for sentence understanding Extra-linguistic context – factors outside of language itself; important - Principles to perceive/understand linguistic inputs = syntax, semantics, statistical in nature, pragmatic Prosody – rhythm and pitch cues (rise and fall of speech intonation and pattern of pauses) important role in speech perception  Reveals mood, directs attention/focus, and renders sentence unambiguous that would otherwise be entirely confusing Pragmatics – knowledge of how language is ordinarily used Aphasia – damage to # of brain sites = disruption of language aphasia symptoms dependent on locus of brain damage Non-fluent aphasia – damage to left frontal lobe (Broca’s area)  Virtually unable to utter or write a word; less severe = only part of normal vocab is lost, but speech becomes labored and fragmented articulating requires effort Fluent aphasia – damage to Wernicke’s area; produce speech (freely/rapidly) but say very little  Sentences reasonably grammatical but composed largely of little filler words that provide scant info o Language loss = specific Anomia – loss of ability to name various objects, as if brain damage caused disruption to mental dictionary  Specific some can use concrete nouns but not abstract; animate objects but not inanimate; some lose ability to name colours - Processes of language inc. “looking up” working meanings in “mental dictionary” o figuring out structural relationships within sentence o integrating info about sentence’s structure + meanings of words in sentence o each rely on own set of brain pathways - children learn language even if communication with adults entirely non-linguistic, i.e. children born deaf with no opportunity to learn sign language o i.e. caregivers don’t know how to sign or choose not to teach signing o children invent gestural language (“home sign”) parallels ordinary/spoken language  has many of formal structures routinely seen in world’s existing language; pattern of emergence follows same sequence observed in ordinary language learning Specific language impairment (SLI) – normal intelligence + no problems with muscle movements needed to produce language o slow to learn language + difficulty understanding/producing many sentences throughout life o + impairs on tasks designed to test linguistic knowledge - Language-learning depends on children picking up info from environment i.e. grow up in Paris learn to speak French, in China = Chinese o Imitation limits: application of past tense (through manipulated morphemes, i.e. “-ed”) Over-regularization errors – around 3 yrs, say things like “yesterday we goed” or “I have two foots” almost never produced by adults o Explicit instruction adults “teach” children to speak  Limits: adults rarely correct or reward grammar react to messages conveyed in their language (i.e. to content vs. syntax “love ‘oo mommy”)  When do correct, children seen oblivious to correction - Children sensitive to patterns/regularities in what they hear astute statisticians, keep track of frequency-of-occurrence - Language elements interact in ordinary language use we rely on sentence’s syntactic form to figure out its meaning + on semantic cues in deciphering syntax o Rely on prosody as clues to syntax, on vocab to help process more complex strings Semantic bootstrapping – reliance on knowledge of semantic relationships as basis for figuring out syntax - Language can/does shape our thoughts (flow of ideas) o Verbal descriptions provide convenient label for complex experience labels provide economical way of coding/chunking experience - Language can influence how we reason and make decisions i.e. choose medical treatment = “treatment has 50% chance of success” > “50% chance of failure” (means same, wording different) Linguistic relativity – (Whorf) specific language we speak forces us into certain modes of thought o Limits: only evidence from ways of the Hopi misinterpreted  Evidence only suggests that way one expresses themselves is influenced by one’s language - Some languages have many terms for colours, others have few rich colour vocab helps remember colours but doesn’t change perception o People who speak languages with richer colour vocab may actually perceive colours differently finer/more sharply defined distinctions - Languages differ in how they describe spatial arrangement (i.e. absolute vs. relative directions) o Language differences = corresponding differences in how people remember + perceive spatial position - Possible that language “restructures” cognition language you speak determines concepts/categories you use shapes what we can think about o Also possible that labels by language draw our attention to certain distinctions practice in thinking about distinction improvement in ease/skill in thinking about the distinction  Language influences what we pay attention to shapes experience influences how and how well we think  Can often undo effects of language by using some other means to redirect attention - Human language-guided thoughts differ from thoughts of non-linguistic primate relatives CH 11 - (Galton) introspect and report own mental contents self-report data = participants could “inspect” their images like a picture (picture-like most of representation) o scenes represented as if viewed from certain position/distance o reported being able to “read off” from image details of colour/texture o mental images = “pictures in the head” to be inspected with the “mind’s eye” o individual differences many described images of photographic clarity, rich in detail, almost as if seeing imaged scene (vs. visualizing it)  others reported very sketchy images or none at all can think, but not “see”; self- reports devoid of any visual qualities (i.e. colour, size, viewing perspective) o limits: self-report data = some cautious in description while others more extravagant differences in how people talk about imagery (vs. differences in imagery) Chronometric studies – “time-measuring”; give more accurate portrait of mental imagery o ask people to do something with their images (i.e. read info, manipulate) examine accuracy/speed of responses (+ comparisons = measurement basis for nature of imagery) o allow to ask: what sorts of info prominent/not in mental image?  use evals as basis for asking how “picture-like” mental images really are  pattern of what info inc./prominent depends on mode of presentation  i.e. written description = distinctive/strongly associated features prominent, vs. drawn depiction = size/position prominent (distinctiveness/association don’t matter) - info quickly avail. In image follows rules for pictures, not paragraphs o people have option to think via imagery + without imagery as mode of representation changes, so does pattern of info availability Image-scanning procedure – participants memorize image (i.e. map) form mental image o participants scan across images at constant rate doubling scanning “distance” doubles time required for scan (tripling distance triples time) - “zoom” task = response times directly proportional to amount of zoom required travel in imaged world resembles travel (timing) in actual world - Clear relationship between “travel time” and “travel distance” similarity between mental images and actual out-in-the-world pictures o Images represent scene in way that preserves all distance relationships within that scene  Image preserves spatial layout of represented scene  Represents info about all shapes/sizes in the scene + preserves diverse set of spatial relationships (i.e. between, alignment)  images rep. Geometry (depict scene, vs. describe) > similar to pictures/maps (vs. propositional descriptions) Mental rotation task – participants imagine 1 of the forms rotating into alignment with other (once forms oriented in same way) make judgement o response time depends on how much rotation needed (positive relationship; > angle of rotation = > response time) imagined “movement” resembles actual movement o no trouble with mental rotation in depth few errors (95% accuracy; data similar to picture- place rotation)  can represent 3D forms in images (as well as 2D) + imagine forms moving in depth  in some circumstances, visual images = mental sculptures - distance relations also in mental rotation (like mental scanning) > travel = > time (spatial layout) - limits: participants may be sensitive to demand character (cues that might signal how they are “supposed” to behave) of experiment o people know manipulations should take > time do best to simulate process  not true! Evidence proves otherwise - forming a visual image interferes with seeing; forming auditory image interferes with hearing o visualizing/perceiving = similar mechanisms one activity serves to prime the other o many of same structures required for vision = crucial for imagery evidence = neuroimaging  visual perception relies on tissue in occipital cortex (activated when examining visual stimulus) activity high when visualizing stimulus before “mind’s eye”  Different areas of occipital cortex involved in different aspects of visual perception + during imagery (i.e. Areas V1 and V2 in visual cortex) o i.e. Area MT/MST = sensitive to motion active when imaging movement patterns; same with faces, colour, fine detail, etc. Neglect syndrome – could only see right or left (half) side (of image, text, etc.) o same pattern evident in imagery Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) – creates series of strong magnetic pulses at specific location on scalp causes temporary disruption in brain region  illustrates problems in vision parallel problems in visual imagery  i.e. Area V1 crucial for processing of visual info + creation/maintenance of visual images o machinery occupied for 1 function = not available to other; machinery disrupted = both activities compromised - functional equivalence between many aspects of visual imagery/perception Visual acuity – ability to see fine detail; in vision = > at center of visual field (vs. periphery)  measurements of “two-point acuity” in vision = greatest when people look directly at the dots, so even minuscule gaps can be detected  dots positioned 10 degrees away from line of vision = acuity far worse  correspondence between performance with actually perceived + imagined dots qual/quantitatively, imagery data = perceptual data - blind individuals yield data similar to sighted participants use “spatial imagery” to represent series of imagined movements (body/motion imagery) o visual imagery = how things look (i.e. colours), vs. spatial imagery = movements/body feelings (mental rotation/scanning) - exceptions = brain damage = problems in imagery but not perception/vice versa o i.e. bilateral occipital lobe lesions = blindness but patient does well on many imagery tasks o visual imagery relies on brain areas needed for vision damage disrupts both imagery/vision  spatial imagery relies on different brain areas damage to visual areas ≠ disrupt imagery; damage to areas need for imagery ≠ disrupt vision Eidetic imagery – vastly more detailed (vs. ordinary imagery) 5% of all children (< in adults) - choice between forms of imagery influenced by individual’s ability levels (of visualization/ spatialization) 10% deficient in seeing mental pictures o studies find no differences between vivid/sparse imagers in how they do mental rotation or how quickly/accurately they scan across images  but these tasks require spatial judgements/manipulations (spatial imagery) “vivid” = how much image experience is like seeing  self-report = assessment of visual imagery no relationship between self- report/performance of (spatial) tasks visual imagery ≠ spatial performance - relationship between image vividness/how well people perform on visual tasks o “vivid” = perceptual data - Imagery self-reports = differences in quality of imagery experience - Differences = career choices i.e. visual imagers succeed in arts, spatial imagers succeed in science/engineering - Mental (esp. visual) images ≠ always mental pictures o i.e. Necker cube = neutral in interpretation, but perception not neutral goes beyond info given by specifying configuration in depth o + perception specifies figure/ground organization, orientation, etc.  serve to organize form impact on subjective appearance (= resemblance/recognition, memory evoking) - Percepts (mental representations of perceived stimuli) = depictions represent key aspects of 3D layout of world (not descriptions) like pictures + organized/unambiguous o We have 100% failure in reinterpreting forms with images + 100% success a moment later with drawings  images = inherently organized/understood (like percepts) images = entirely unambiguous/strongly resistant to reinterpretation (i.e. Duck/rabbit figure) - mental images surprise/remind us of things; we consult images in solving problems/making decisions; can invent new forms/devices by inspecting/manipulating their images o mental image = (package of) depiction itself + perceptual reference frame  hints can alter image’s reference frame large effects  i.e. nonsense shape’s frame of reference = un/identification of Texas  discovery relies on understanding change in understanding (i.e. frame of reference) = change in performance o change understanding of form = difficult/depends on specific instruction/training examples  initial understanding of form = enormous impact on what can/not be discovered - limits to image-based process (i.e. architecture) some discoveries > likely if put on paper and then inspected in drawings (drawing on its own has no reference frame easier to impose new) o putting thoughts into imagery can shape flow/sequence of ideas - images ≠ pictures inherently organized differently, contain > info o but images share crucial properties with pictures are picture-like - images stored in memory in piecemeal (piece-by-piece) fashion o to form image, first have to activate nodes specifying the “image frame” which depicts form’s global shape elaborations to frame = full/detailed image  images containing > parts + > detail take longer to create  imagers have some degree of control over how complete/detailed their images will be images can be sketchy or elaborate (first create frame add detail)  i.e. 4 columns takes longer/more difficult to maintain (because > # of units, vs. rows) o info to construct image drawn from image files in long-term memory inc. info (something like of instructions) to create image frame + elaborate  info may not be picture-like (in long-term memory) represented via propositions or verbal label (description) i.e. > colour vocab = > colour memory  colour memory > in cultures with > # of colour terms  memorize description = recreate picture on basis of description of previously viewed object  memory improved when appropriate label/description is available o but people can recall picture in way that is distorted by their understanding of it or their selective description o knowledge that seems visual may be stored in memory in some non- visual representation o reasoning depends on propositional knowledge (not mental images/maps) at least some of our spatial knowledge relies on symbolic/propositional code (non-spatial reasoning)  i.e. Montreal north of Seattle problem - images influence + improve memory i.e. participants learn high-imagery words > readily than low-imagery words o imagery mnemonics (improving memory) poorest recall by just rehearsal, intermediate performance by generated sentences, best recall by imagery  memory best if images formed show objects to be remembered as interacting in some way organization  most effective if mental picture = bizarre (distinct, vs. ordinary) Dual coding – (Paivio) imageable materials (i.e. high-imagery words) = doubly represented in memory word itself + corresponding picture (both provide info) o double chance of locating info eases process of memory search o access to symbolic memories easiest
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2650

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit