PSYC 3070 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Industrial And Organizational Psychology, Human Relations Movement, Occupational Health Psychology

46 views3 pages
29 Mar 2016
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

32 million people in canada, 74% employed, mostly in service industries. Work is determinant of health, well-being and quality of relationships. Within psychology: overlap with social/health psychologists/councelling, background in psychometrics, stats, and research methods. Outside psychology: overlap with business i. e. hr management, organizational behavior, industrial relations. Occupational health psychology: research and practice based partly on io psychology, deals with health and safety of workers. Scientist-practitioner perspective: view that i/o psyc focuses on both scientific research and applied professional practice. Social scientists and applied scientists (use science and practice) Use surveys, experiments, quasi experiments to explain behavior. Need both: undergrad degree in psychology from recognized institution, experience/internships with i/o psychologist. Capitalism became basis of society- acceptance of darwinian views. Wilhelm wundt: lab as starting point for i/o psyc, trained walter scott and hugo munsterberg: walter scott: first industrial psychologist, munsterberg: the founder of i/o psychology.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers