Psychology
Course
PSYC 3480
Professor
Anneke Olthof
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 30 – Self-Concept and Self-Esteem  Through life-long experiences individuals develop sense of self. Early childhood experiences with family and friends, and feedback and labeling from teachers and coaches, including self-reflections, are sources of self-concept. A person's self-concept refers to her overall mental image of attributes and roles  "Nothing builds self-esteem and self-confidence like accomplishment." - Thomas Carlyle Who am I?  Physical self - all of us located inside body, which is thought in terms of sex, age, body build, attractiveness, and so forth o Significance of physical self to sport is related to: physical conditioning, i.e., stamina and fitness; body attractiveness, i.e., attractiveness of physique and ability to maintain an attractive physique; physical strength, reflected in muscle development and power; global physical self- concept, i.e., general feelings of pride, pleasure and satisfaction in physicality; and sport competence, shown in athletic ability and ability to acquire skills  Self also comprises assessments of intellectual, academic, mental, social, emotional, behavioral, and for some people, spiritual self o Psychological self - beliefs, attitudes, personality traits, goals, and needs all of which constitute person's view of herself at any particular moment in time o Thinking self and emotional self - perceiving, thinking, visualizing, feeling, and sensing in stream of consciousness, or what can be called inner core of self o Social self - view others have of us as we interact with them, and play different roles in variety of diverse settings each with own demands and expectations  Can be a dissociated self, which is perception of self, distinct from body, as if an altered state of consciousness. o Individuals can distinguish between real self and ideal self.  Real self is cohesive whole functioning as single unit, which works toward being organized and consistent  Ideal self is person we would like to be. In well- adjusted individual all of these interconnected parts are balanced and integrated Self-Esteem  Self includes considerations of self-esteem. Whereas self-concept refers to mental images about one's attributes and roles, self-esteem is evaluative concept reflecting. Self-worth, importance, emotional significance, and feelings.  Judgments of validity, strength, and feasibility of one's attributes and roles are basis of self-esteem  Both self-concept and self-esteem are considered important signs of psychological well-being
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3480

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit