Psychology
Course
PSYC 3570
Professor
Erin Allard
Semester
Winter

Description
PSYC 3570 – Death & Dying: Chapter 1 History of Death  Early Human Societies - Viewed death as a community event; losing a tribe member seriously weakened the tribe as a whole in terms of maintaining strength against nature. - Rituals were considered protection from the Gods and unforeseen natural disasters.  Christian Era - Christians who passed away were called “peaceful sleepers” - Death became most intense concern as people began acknowledging themselves as individuals which increased their vulnerability (the quality of life improving). - The Ave Maria was a prayer for a good death - Changes in burial practices – body and face concealed and therefore, taken out of nature.  Rationalism and Science Era - Death became entwined with violence and sexuality (strange, alien & perverted) - Horror (i.e. being buried alive) - Technological advances and growing importance of family and privacy (vs. tribes) - Death then revisioned as a guilt-free process after the dismissal of purgatory (Hell), and also viewed as the reunion with loved ones (Heaven). th  19 Century - “The invisible death”: Takes us into a different place in the mind; became dirty and medicalized; AKA absolute failure. - People experienced avoidance, misinterpretation and denial when realizing their time was approaching (i.e. disease). - Death viewed as neither evil or a sacred passage but a “failure of the machine” Not Thinking about Death: A Failed Experiment - Nurses, psychologists and social workers were unprepared to cope with and understand death-related situations. - Hollywood portrays death very differently (i.e. CSI) - How people died became an increasing concern for the grieving survivors - More people (patients, families, physicians) are ready to listen and communicate their needs and wishes - Fatalistic attitudes today are more dangerous than ever, as many deaths can be attributed to lifestyle - Thinking about death and taking life-protective measures generally increases the probability of an avoidable death Your Self-Inventory of Attitudes, Beliefs, & Feelings - Most beneficial to take in present experiences, attitudes, beliefs, and feelings. This gives you a personal data baseline and also makes you appreciate the ways to view death. - Attitudes : our action tendencies (i.e. Do I approach or avoid this situation?) Beliefs : our worldview (i.e. Fatalism) Feelings : our sense of being; qualitative information (i.e. Do I feel safe or endangered?) - These attitudes, beliefs, and feelings are influenced by personal experiences – if we experience a death that got to us (family, pet, etc) then we are more likely to understand what other people are/have been going through. - Many organizations developed to provide people with emotional support - Important to appreciate what the deceased meant to you, and the role you played in the situation (i.e. your last visit with the person) - The purpose of a living will – most people do not use it because they believed their last few days were a long way off, and did not think about their death. It is now part of established hospital policy (therefore, increasing use) - Organ donors – few people sign (associated with drivers licenses) or carry organ donor cards, despite its widespread availability. Most nondonors fear being declared dead prematurely, and are more anxious about death. People who view themselves as self-reliant and effective are more likely to be donors. - Risk-Taking Behaviors – Stepping off the curb; Safe pedestrians stood on curb until light changed in their favour, scanned traffic both ways, and when interviewed, put their life in jeopardy only 2% of the time per week. Risky street crossers (stepped off the curb against traffic signals, didn’t look before crossing) put their life in jeopardy 16% of the time. These riskier people also were 4x more likely to think and/or attempt suicide, reporting more frustrations with life. Therefore, attitudes/feelings can be expressed in behavior choices which increase or decrease their probability of death. - In God they Trust – People with positive religious coping styles experienced less pain and distress during their last few months of life. Patients who doubted or had conflicts in religious beliefs seem to have negative health outcomes/effects. Man is Mortal: But What Does That Have To Do With Me? - Attitudes towards life and death challenged when a loved one passes. - Powerful difference between intellectual knowledge and emotional realization (i.e. being informed of a death vs. viewing the actual corpse). - Hard to show concern/comfort for fellow survivors while trying not to show own emotions/distress - Once we come to terms with a particular death, easier to discuss/deal with. Anxiety, Denial, & Acceptance: 3 Core Concepts - Death Anxiety – to reduce the painful tension (by taking drugs, alcohol, isolation) Denial – to reject certain key features of reality in attempt to avoid or reduce anxiety. Acceptance – various views of what to exactly accept? (i.e. does a good death require acceptance?) - Depression, and a sense of loss are also common attitudes of death - Everyone copes differently (i.e. some people who join forces with death and kill others in reality or video games) Studies & Theories of Death Anxiety - Use self-report questionnaires; advantages: convenience, briefness, simple quantitative results - Low scores on death anxiety are hard to interpret (low anxiety or high denial?) - How high is high anxiety? What is normal? - Sample population – college students overrepresented; ethnic/racial minorities underrepresented - Only a one-time thing – respondents may express their attitudes differently at another time/situation. Major Findings from Self-Reports on Death Anxiety - How Much Do We Fear Anxiety? – People appear to not consider themselves to be very anxious about death in their everyday lives. Very high scores of anxiety (when a respondent is in a state of alarm) were seldom. People can be calm, and collected on a verbal level while also experiencing a strong emotional response on a neurophysiological level. - Gender Differences – Women tend to have higher death anxiety scores than men. This may be due to the fact that women are more open and comfortable expressing their thoughts and opinions emotionally. It does not mean that women are “too” anxious. The level of death anxiety tells us about the way a person interprets and responds to death-related situations. - Age Differences – No age diff’s/lower death anxiety for elders. People come to terms with death as they move through their later years. Death itself regarded as natural whereas fear of becoming dependent/helpless may increase. Death anxiety related to relationship loss, increased health conerns, and uncertainties among the elderly. Social isolation, financial concerns, dissatisfaction with quality of life, and bereavement are
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3570

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit