PSYC 3800 (51)
Chapter 6

PSYC 3800 Chapter 6: Chapter 6 summary

6 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Guelph
PSYC 3800
Jen Lasenby- Lessard

Chapter 6: Behavioural Views of Learning • Learning: occurs when experience (including practice) causes a relatively permanent change in an individual’s knowledge or behaviour. o Deliberate/unintentional, conscious/unconscious, for better/for worse o Doesn’t include changes from maturation or from temporary things (illness, fatigue) • Behavioural learning theories: assumes that the outcome of learning is a change in behaviour Neuroscience of Behavioural Learning • Part of cerebellum involved in reflex learning • Brain systems associated with pleasure and pain experiences Early Explanations of Learning • Contiguity: whenever 2 or more sensations occur together often enough, they become associated o When only one occurs (stimulus), the other will be remembered (response) o Aristotle said he remembered things when they were similar, contrast, or contiguous CLASSICAL CONDITIONING: learning involuntary emotional/physiological responses (i.e.fear) AKA “respondents” • Stimulus elicits the response • Discovered 1920s by Pavlov training dogs ▪ Sound of a tuning fork (neutral stimulus) did not cause dog to salivate ▪ Feed (unconditioned stimulus) dog causing salivation (unconditioned response) ▪ Contiguous pairing of tuning fork and feeding dog ▪ Over time, dog salivates (conditioned response) when hears sound (conditioned stimulus) of tuning fork -because does not need the food to salivate anymore o Example: “white coat syndrome”: people’s blood pressure increases when tested in the doctor’s office OPERANT CONDITIONING: learning in which voluntary behaviour is strengthened or weakened by consequences or antecedents • Discovered by BF Skinner who said many behaviours are operants (voluntary behaviour) • Follows relationship pattern: antecedent-behaviour-consequence o A consequence becomes an antecedent for the next sequence Types of consequences: 1. Reinforcement: Consequences that strengthen behaviour • Positive reinforcements produce a new stimulus (i.e. wearing a new outfit produces many compliments) • Negative reinforcement: action leads to avoiding or escaping an aversive stimulus (i.e. ringing sound in a car when you don’t do up the seatbelt- it stops when you do up seatbelt) 2. Punishment: decreases or suppresses behaviour • Presentation punishment: aversive stimulus appears after behaviour (i.e. reprimanding students) • Removal punishment: removing a pleasure stimulus (i.e. taking away TV) Reinforcement Schedules: (Table 6.1 pg 204) 1. Continuous: reinforcer after every appropriate response 2. intermittent: reinforcer after some responses 3. interval: based on amount of time between reinforcers ----- fixed (predictable) or 4. ratio: number of responses learners give between reinforcers ------ variable (unpredicatable) • Variable schedules best for encouraging persistence of response so that we don’t give up when reinforcement doesn’t meet our expectation • Gradually changing it until it is “lean” means kids can go long periods of time without reinforcements 3. Extinction: removal of reinforcement altogether i.e. not responding to child’s tantrum and eventually they stop Antecedents and Behavior Change • Stimulus control: capacity for the presence or absence of antecedents causing behaviour (i.e. stopping at a red light even if being chased by police) • Effective Instruction Delivery (EID): concise, clear and specific instructions are the most effective; Statements are better than questions; speak instructions near students; make eye contact • Cueing: providing a stimulus that sets up a desired behaviour, rather than reminders that lead to irritation or disappointment • Prompting: a reminder that follows a cue to make sure the person reacts to the cue o i.e. learning to be a good peer tutor: working in pairs is the cue, giving a checklist of steps is the prompt Applied Behaviour Analysis: • applying behaviour principles to change behaviour (AKA behaviour modification) • ABAB often used in research (baseline measurement of behaviour, apply intervention, stop intervention and observe behaviour, reintroduce intervention) • Teachers: o Specify behaviour to change and the level it is at o Plan the intervention o Keep track of results Methods for Encouraging Behaviour: 1. Reinforce with teacher attention: • Praise good behaviour and ignore bad OR ignore bad and reward good immediately (differential reinforcement) o Problem is disruptive behaviours often persist or other students are providing the attention o Praise also needs to be sincere and be reinforcing the behaviour you want (not just all the time) 2. Selecting the reinforcer: • The Premak Principle: (Grandma’s Rule): A high frequency behaviour preferred activity) can be an effective reinforcer for a low frequency activity (less-preferred) o i.e. do what I want you to do first and then you can do what you want (work quietly and nd then work together on the 2 assignment) 3. Shaping: (Successive Approximations) • reinforcing progress instead of just the end correct result • final complex task must be broken down into steps- called task analysis o allows pinpointing where the difficulties are 4. Positive Practice: • students replace one behaviour with another until It becomes almost automatic o i.e. correcting a math problem right away • use instead of punishing student Handling Undesirable Behaviour 1. Negative Reinforcement: i.e. when supplies are all put away then the class can go out for recess • teacher ensures unpleasant situations improve when student behaviour improves o not to be confused with punishment!!- this involves removing a stimulus • student remains in control- they choose to perform behaviour • teacher should describe change in a positive way and don’t lie 2. Reprimand: • soft and calm, more effective than loud and public o reprimanding in front of class could increase behaviour- if student likes attention 3. Response Cost: • an infraction causes the student to lose something o i.e. first time might be given a warning, then next time would be a mark beside name 4. Social Isolation: (time out) • removing disruptive student from class for 5-10 min to sit alone in a boring room o be careful- if doesn’t help, don’t make it longer! Cautions about punishments: • not good enough- tells kid what to stop doing but not what to do • always accompany with
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 3800

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.