SOC 1100 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Christine De Pizan, Barry Wellman, Raymond Breton
This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
What is the sociological perspective?
It shows us that the society around us influences how we act and even what we think and how we
feel. Learning to see the world sociologically is useful in many ways—and it is also fun!
Seeing the general in the particular.
What is sociology?
The systematic study of human society
See the strange in the familiar
Seeing personal choice in social context
What is sociological imagination?
The same thing as sociological perspective – seeing the general in the particular.
What is global perspective?
The study of the larger world and our society’s place in it.
Seeing the community of Orangeville and how it relates to Ontario and Canada and how it relates
to the world.
*Where we live shapes the lives we lead
*societies throughout the world are increasingly interconnected
*many social problems that we face in Canada are far more serious elsewhere
*thinking globally helps us learn more about ourselves
High-income countries *high standards of living (60 countries including US, Cda, Argentina and more)
Middle-income countries *standard of living is about average (76 countries, many in Eastern Europe, 7
in Africa and almost all of Asia and Central and South America)
Low-income countries *low standard of living, poor (Africa, Afghanistan, Pakistan, etc. Haiti is the only
one in the Americas)
How and why do we apply the sociological perspective?
- guides many laws and policies that shape our lives
- personally leads to important personal growth and awareness
- good prep for world of work
Where and why is sociology in public policy?
- sociological research influenced Health policies
- sociological research influences education, crime, families, multiculturalism, public policy
and Canada’s response to a wide range of social issues
- helps us assess the truth of common sense
- helps us see the opportunities and constraints in our lives
- empowers us to be active participants in our society
- helps us live in a diverse world
- careers in sociology, researchers gathering info on social behaviour, studying for programs and policies
they set in place; criminal justice (who is at most risk of becoming victims or criminals, review how
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version