Philosophy
Course
PHIL 1200
Professor
David R.Hampton
Semester
Summer

Description
o982 According to this revised Principle of Alternate Possibilities, then, I should not be morally responsible for my actions Frankfurt tries to solve this problem by making a distinction between doing something only because of some deterministic causal influence, and doing something because of other reasons (found in my thoughts and desires). His final revised Principle of Alternate Possibilities, then, looks like this: “A person is not morally responsible for what he has done if he did it only because he could not have done otherwise.” This view seems to both explain the case of Jones3 and Jones4 and explain why determinism does not take away the notion of moral responsibility, since we often act based on reasons other than the deterministic causal forces that act upon us. Harry Frankfurt ~ Freedom of the Will…. Frankfurt’s starting point It is obviously important for philosophy to be able to describe what constitutes a p
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 1200

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit