Accounting & Financial Management
Course
AFM 241
Professor
Theophanis Stratopoulos
Semester
Summer

Description
School of Accounting and Finance AFM 241 Introduction to Business Information (An Accounting & Finance Perspective) Spring 2013 Instructor Course Resources Course Overview and Intended Learning Outcomes Course Concept Map Course Lecture Plan (Weeks - Material Covered) Assessment Methods 1. Individual Class Participation 2. Team Based Class Participation 3. Weekly Quizzes 4. Team Assignment 5. Midterm and Final Examinations: SAF Policies 1. SAF exam policy 2. Documentation requirements supporting requests for accommodation 3. Recording of Lectures University of Waterloo Policies 1. Academic Integrity 2. Accommodation for Students with Disabilities 3. Turnitin Top 1 Instructor Instructor: Theophanis C. Stratopoulos Contact Information: Office: HH289K Phone: x35943 email: [email protected] Office Hours: MW 10-11am & 3-4pm and by appointment Course Website: http://learn.uwaterloo.ca/ use your WatIAM/Quest username and password to login. Course Resources 1. Stratopoulos, T. C. 2013. Teaching Notes for Introduction to Business Information Technology: A Business Value Approach. Teaching notes will be available in pdf form through D2L. I have prepared these teaching notes because there is no text that approaches Information Technology (IT) from an Accounting and Finance standpoint. Topics and issues covered were based on feedback from Accounting Information Systems researchers in Canada and US, board members of UW-CISA, as well as my contacts in industry and professional associations. 2. Ruback, R. S., Balachandran, S., and Aldo Sesia 2001. Whirlpool Europe. Case Study, Boston: Harvard Business School. You can purchase/download the case from the following URL: http://hbr.org/product/whirlpool-europe/an/202017-PDF-ENG?Ntt=%2520whirlpool%2 520europe Course Overview and Intended Learning Outcomes In 2013, worldwide companies and organizations are expected to spend $3.8 trillion on IT, i.e., hardware, software, IT services, and telecommunications. This amount reflects a 4.1% increase compared to 2012, and it is expected to rise by another 4.0%, to $3.9 trillion, in 2014. For most firms, IT spending has become one of their most important capital expenditure, and IT budgets represent a substantial portion of the overall budget. Our focus in this course is on the following three questions: 1. Why firms invest in IT, i.e., what are the expected benefits, costs, and risks. 2. What are some of the most common IT investments that firm undertake. 3. How do companies justify, monitor, and control IT spending and how they evaluate the expected payoffs from these investments. ○ By the end the course, the students should be able to describe and leverage appropriate accounting, business and IT strategy concepts in order to explain why firms invest in IT, what investments they make, and how firms justify, monitor, and evaluate IT investments. ○ By the end of the course, the students should be able to research and analyze qualitative and quantitative information in order to answer questions related to why, what, and how of IT investments. ○ By the end of the course, the students should be able to make rational recommendations on how to justify, monitor, and evaluate IT initiatives. 1 Gartner. 2013, March 28. Gartner Says Worldwide IT Spending on Pace to Reach $3.8 Trillion in 2013. Gartner Press Release. Top 2 Course Concept Map Course Lecture Plan (Weeks - Material Covered) Week 1 Case Analysis (Whirlpool Case) and IT Business Value Week 2 IT Business Value Week 3 Business Strategy Week 4 IT Strategy Week 5 Business Analytics and Database Theory Week 6 Enterprise Systems Week 7 Capital Budgeting and Sensitivity Analysis of IT investments Week 8 IT Budgets and IT Portfolio Management Week 9 IT Balanced Scorecard Week 10 IT Governance Week 11 Outsourcing Week 12 Case Analysis (Whirlpool Case) At the end of every week I will post an announcement on Learn covering the following topics: 1. Summary of material covered during the week. 2. Reading material and suggested homework assignments for the following week. 3. Assignments, quizzes, and exams that are due or will be administered in the following week. 4. Other course related information. Assessment Methods Individual - Class Participation 5% Team based Class Participation 5% Weekly Quizzes 20% Mid-Term Exam 25% Final Exam 30% Team Assignment 15% 100% Top 3 1. Individual Class Participation Active participation leads to higher retention and understanding. Please review assigned material before you come to class. Participation includes both answering questions and making comments and asking questions that help you understand the material. You can drop your four lowest class participation scores. Please, note that absences for any reason will have to be part of the four lowest scores that you can drop. 2. Team Based Class Participation The objective of this assessment is to encourage you to collaborate with your teammates and improve your communication skills. During class time, I will give you time to prepare and respond to a specific question as a team. The answer will be evaluated along the following two dimensions: quality of the answer that the team has provided and equal representation of teammates when providing the answer. 3. Weekly Quizzes The objective of these quizzes is to make sure that you understand and use concepts or tools appropriately. Every week there will be an online quiz based on the material we covered in class during the previous week. You can drop the lowest two scores. There are no make-ups for quizzes missed. Please, note if you miss a quiz for any reason it will have to be part of the lowest score(s) that you can drop. 4. Team Assignment The objective of the assignment is to teach you to collaboratively work with large data sets, evaluate, select, and use appropriate accounting and finance theories, concepts and tools in order to support Business/IT related decisions. You will be using a software called CATME to provide evaluate contribution of individual 2 team mates in this project. Participation in the peer-evaluation process is mandatory. Failure to contribute to the evaluation process will lead to five (5) point penalty on your score on the team project. This will not affect the scores of the other members of your team. The assessment of your contribution by your teammates (% score) will affect your individual score on assignment. Example: My team received 80/100 for our assignment and my individual contribution was 80%. What is my score? Individual Score = 80 x .80 = 64. There is a penalty of five points per day for late submissions. 5. Midterm and Final Examinations: They are a combination of mini-essay and multiple choice questions. The date of the midterm exam has been scheduled for the Friday June 21st from 6:30 to 8:00 pm. The time and location of final exam has not been scheduled yet. If you miss the midterm exam for excused reason, the weight will be carried in your final. For any other reason the midterm score is zero. The final exam is cumulative. ○ I maintain the right to replace your midterm score with your final score, if final is higher than your midterm. I will make this adjustment for students that have been active and respectful during classes and with no more than four absences. 2 NB: You will receive an invitation to create an accoun
More Less

Related notes for AFM 241

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit