AFM291 Chapter Notes - Chapter 2: Summary Statistics, Financial Statement, Pro Forma

37 views6 pages
Chapter 2
Conceptual Frameworks for Financial Reporting
1. Sketch of a business plan for a car maker
Assessment of Demand
o Consider the structure of the market (ex. incomes, needs, tastes)
o Need to be selective about choosing a target market and understanding the
needs of potential customers
Understanding the needs will help identify the overall strategic
goal/objective and desirable product characteristics of the new product
Supply planning
o Need to identify the potential product components that will help meet
customer needs
o Then begin the more specific product design
Needs to take the technological and economic feasibility of the designs
o Throughout the planning process, numerous simplifying assumptions that
support the analysis would have been made
Ca’t take ee data poit ito aout, use sua statistis ad
assume that these statistics are representative of the whole population
Components of the IFRS Conceptual Framework
Demand side: Users and their needs objectives qualitative characteristics
Supply side: Elements of financial statements recognition measurement
Users and their needs
- “et of uses aodig to the IFR“ → eistig ad potetial iestos, ledes, ad
othe editos
- IFRS focuses on parties that have provided financial resources to the enterprise in the
past and those who may decide to do so in the future. Not concerning customers or
employees.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
2. Objectives of Financial Reporting
- The objective of general purpose financial reporting (financial reports publicly available)
is to provide financial information about the reporting entity that is useful to existing
and potential investors, lenders, and other creditors in making decisions about providing
resources to the entity.
a. Investment and Lending Decisions
- Financial reports should help investors and creditors decide whether to invest or lend to
the reporting entity (other decision contexts are not primary concern in IFRS)
b. Amount, timing, and uncertainty of cash flows
- Receiving cash vs, the cash contributed to the investment
- The value of the cash flows to the investor/lender depend on amount of cash flow,
timing, and uncertainty (risk)
c. Ifoatio o the etit’s esoues, lais, ad pefoae
- Uses eed ifoatio aout the etit’s esoues, lais agaist the etit, ad the
etit’s pefoae
- Etit’s esoues → useful fo peditig futue ash iflos
- Clais agaist the etit → help pedit futue ash outflos
- Past pefoae → help predict future performance
- Accrual accounting: includes economic events when they happen rather than only when
cash exchange occurs
3. Qualitative Characteristics
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Demand side: users and their needs objectives qualitative characteristics. Supply side: elements of financial statements recognition measurement. Et of use(cid:396)s a(cid:272)(cid:272)o(cid:396)di(cid:374)g to the ifr (cid:862)e(cid:454)isti(cid:374)g a(cid:374)d pote(cid:374)tial i(cid:374)(cid:448)esto(cid:396)s, le(cid:374)de(cid:396)s, a(cid:374)d othe(cid:396) (cid:272)(cid:396)edito(cid:396)s(cid:863) Ifrs focuses on parties that have provided financial resources to the enterprise in the past and those who may decide to do so in the future. Not concerning customers or employees: objectives of financial reporting. Financial reports should help investors and creditors decide whether to invest or lend to the reporting entity (other decision contexts are not primary concern in ifrs: amount, timing, and uncertainty of cash flows. Receiving cash vs, the cash contributed to the investment. The value of the cash flows to the investor/lender depend on amount of cash flow, timing, and uncertainty (risk: i(cid:374)fo(cid:396)(cid:373)atio(cid:374) o(cid:374) the e(cid:374)tit(cid:455)"s (cid:396)esou(cid:396)(cid:272)es, (cid:272)lai(cid:373)s, a(cid:374)d pe(cid:396)fo(cid:396)(cid:373)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e. Use(cid:396)s (cid:374)eed i(cid:374)fo(cid:396)(cid:373)atio(cid:374) a(cid:271)out the e(cid:374)tit(cid:455)"s (cid:396)esou(cid:396)(cid:272)es, (cid:272)lai(cid:373)s agai(cid:374)st the e(cid:374)tit(cid:455), a(cid:374)d the e(cid:374)tit(cid:455)"s pe(cid:396)fo(cid:396)(cid:373)a(cid:374)(cid:272)e. E(cid:374)tit(cid:455)"s (cid:396)esou(cid:396)(cid:272)es useful fo(cid:396) p(cid:396)edi(cid:272)ti(cid:374)g futu(cid:396)e (cid:272)ash i(cid:374)flo(cid:449)s.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers