Week 10 11/21/2013
In the judiciary, the judges serve for life.
Unless they behave out of order. In that case they have to face impeachment.
Protects them from public criticism.
One of the purpose it to balance the rights of the minorities & majorities.
• Not supposed to be responsive to public pressure. They are not politicians, not supposed to
succumb to public. Not supposed to be a popular institution. Supposed to protect the
constitutions. Protection of the rights of minorities. Not supposed to act based on what the
Supreme Court has the power to declare what is Constitutional & what is not is called judicial
• NOT written in the Constitution.
o Marbury v. Madison (1803)
Civil servant, opponent of Madison (president at the time). Went against
Marbury. Supreme Court stated that they have the right to against part of the
Judiciary defined their powers themselves.
• Major power of the supreme court.
o Strike down the laws or not strike down.
John Marshall – 4 chief justice. Served for 35 years.
• Here, Court established firmly its role in structure of the US gov’t.
Chief Justice Roberts
• Role of the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
o Not the same as the Chiefs
Justices choose which cases they would like to hear.
• They decide together. The case has to travel through all Court levels to reach the Supreme
o District Court (1)
o Court of Appeals (2)
13 CoA’s in the US.
Justices travel in circuits. 12 circuits. Geographically divided.
• i.e. Court of Appeal for the 11 circuit. Each circuit deals