Date: February 11 2014
• Cognitive psychology : studying the mental act or process of knowledge acquisition
(dominant perspective in the 70s)
• What is it? cognitive psychology – thinking ,memory, learning, perception, language
• Where did it come from? Dissatisfaction with behaviourism
• ^ It’s really hard to measure and see where things are coming from. People had a really
hard time measuring these things.
• Why did it take so long? the computer analogy – receive -> code -> store -> output (have
an information processing system) – output is some sort of behavioural outcome
• Behaviourism – the attempt to understand observable activity in terms of observable
stimuli and observable responses.
• Only observable behaviour can be studied.
- Classical conditioning
- Learning experience in which a neutral stimulus comes to elicit a reflexive response
through being paired with another stimulus that already elicits that reflexive
- Digestive reflexes and salivati