Chapter Eleven - Substance-Related Disorders.docx

12 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYCH 257
Professor
David Moscovitch

This preview shows pages 1,2 and half of page 3. Sign up to view the full 12 pages of the document.
Description
[ ELEVEN ] – SUBSTANCE-RELATED DISORDERS Substance-related disorders = abuse of drugs ppl take to alter the way they think, feel, and behave Polysubstance use = using multiple substances PERSPECTIVES ON SUBSTANCE-RELATED DISORDERS  Substance = chemical cmpds ingested in order to alter mood/beh’ Levels of Involvement  Substance use = ingestion of psychoactive substances in moderate amnts tht dN significantly interfere w/ soc/edu/occupational f’n’g i.e. drinking cup of coffee, smoking cigarette, marijuana, cocaine  Substance intoxication = physiological reac’n to ingested substances (i.e. drunkenness/getting high) - exp’d as impaired judgment, mood changes, lowered motor ability - criteria: person dvlps reversible substance-specific syndrome due to recent ingestion of (or exposure to) a substance  Substance abuse = maladaptive pattern of substance use leads to clinically significant impairment/distress as manifested by 1/more of these during same 12mth period: 1.) job/edu/rel’nshps disrupted; 2.) put in physically dangerous situations; 3.) have related legal problems; and/or 4.) cont’d substance use despite having persistent/recurrent soc/interpersonal problems caused/exacerbated by effects of substance (i.e. physical fights, arguments with spouse about consequences of intoxication)  Substance dependence = person is physiologically (d) on drug(s), req’s i↑’ly more of drug to exp’ same effect (tolerance), and will respond physically in –ve way when substance no longer ingested (withdrawal) - alcohol withdrawal delirium = aka delirium tremens (DTs); person can exp’ frightening hallucinations and body tremors - w/drawal from many substances can bring on chills, fever, diarrhea, nausea & vomiting - not all substances physiologically addicting i.e. dN go t/ severe physical w/drawal when you stop taking LSD/marijuana  Substance dependence = person is psychologically (d) on drug(s); measured by drug-seeking beh’s - repeated use of drug - desperate need to ingest more of substance (i.e. steal money to buy drugs) - likelihood tht use will resume after period of abstinence  According to standard psychiatric definition, any drug user who passes 3 of 9 tests is hooked: 1.) takes substance or does activity more than originally intended 2.) wants to cut back or has tried to cut back but failed 3.) spends lots of time trying to get/take substance, set up/do activity, or recovering 4.) often intoxicated or suffers w/drawal symptoms when expected to fulfill obligations at work/school/home 5.) curtails or give sup important soc/occupational/recreational activities b/c of substance/activity 6.) uses substance/does activity despite persistent soc/psych/phys problems caused by substance/activity 7.) needs more and more of substance/activity to achieve same effect (tolerance) 8.) suffers characteristic w/drawal symptoms when activity/substance is discont’d (cravings, anxiety, depression, jitters) 9.) takes substance/does activity to relieve/avoid w/drawal symptoms  Today’s commonly used drugs ranked by addictiveness: 1.) nicotine 2.) ice, glass (methamphetamine smoked) 3.) crack 4.) crystal meth (methamphetamine injected)  (d)ce can be present w/o abuse i.e. cancer patients who take morphine for pain Diagnostic Issues  Symptoms of other Ds can complicate substance abuse picture significantly i.e. do some ppl drink to excess b/c they are depressed, or do drinking and its consequences (loss of friends/job) create depression?  Researchers estimate more than ½ the ppl w/ alcohol Ds have additional psychiatric D, such as major depression, ASPD, bipolar D  Substance use might occur concurrently w/ other Ds b/c: i.) substance-related Ds and anxiety & mood Ds highly prevalent in society and may occur together so frequently just by chance ii.) drug intoxication and w/drawal can cause symptoms of anxiety, depression, and psychosis, and can i↑ risk taking iii.) mental health Ds cause substance use D  To define when symptom is result of substance abuse or not, basically, if symptoms seen before other psychological D, would diagnose w/ substance-related D, and if symptoms seen after other psychological D, would not diagnose w/ substance-related D  Indvdl substances: - depressants = result in beh’al sedation and can induce relaxation i.e. alcohol, sedatives, barbiturates, benzodiazepines - stimulants = cause us to be more active & alert and can elevate mood i.e. amphetamines, cocaine, nicotine, caffeine - opiates = major effect is to produce analgesia temporarily (reduce pain) and euphoria i.e. heroin, opium, codeine, morphine - hallucinogens = alter sensory perception and can produce delusions, paranoia, hallucinations i.e. marijuana, LSD - other drugs of abuse = other substances tht are abused but dN fit neatly into other categories i.e. inhalants (airplane glue), anabolic steroids, over-the-counter & prescription meds Pathological Gambling  Person displays persistent and recurrent maladaptive gambling beh’ as indicted by 5/more of following: 1.) preoccupied w/ gambling (i.e. reliving past gambling exp’s, handicapping/planning next venture, thinking of ways to get money w/ which to gamble) 2.) needs to gamble w/ i↑’g amnts of $ to achieve desired excitement 3.) has repeated unsuccessful efforts to ctrl/cut back/stop gambling 4.) restless/irritable when attempting to cut down/stop gambling 5.) gambles as way of escaping from problems/of relieving dysphoric mood (i.e. feelings of helplessness, guilt, anxiety, depression) 6.) after losing $ gambling, often returns another day to get even (chase loss) 7.) lies to family members/therapist/others to conceal extent of involvement w/ gambling 8.) has committed illegal acts such as forgery/fraud/theft/embezzlement to finance gambling 9.) has jeopardized/lost significant rel’nshp/job/edu or career opportunity b/c of gambling 10.) relies on others to provide $ to relieve desperate financial situation caused by gambling  Gambling beh’ not better acc’d for by manic episode DEPRESSANTS  1ly d↓ CNS activity—reduce levels of physiological arousal and help us relax  Most likely to produce symptoms of phys (d), tolerance, and w/drawal Alcohol Use Disorders  Criteria: a) recent ingestion of alcohol b) clinically significant maladaptive beh’/psych changes (i.e. inappropriate sexual/aggressive beh’, impaired judgment, impaired soc/occupational f’n’g) tht dvlp’d during/shortly after use c) 1/more of following sings, dvlp’g during/shortly after use: slurred speech, incoordination, unsteady gait, nystagmus (involuntary rapid and repetitive mvmt of eyes), impairment in attention/memory, stupor/coma  Initial effect: stimulant - inhibitions reduced, more outgoing  w/ cont’d drinking, alcohol depresses more areas of brain  impedes ability to f’n properly - motor coordination impaired, reac’n time slowed, become confused, judgment ability reduced  although alcohol makes us more outgoing, it makes it difficult for neurons to communicate w/ each other  alcohol influences a # of diff neuroreceptor sys’s: - blackouts—loss of memory for what happens during intoxication—may results from interaction w/ glutamate sys’ - serotonin sys’—affects mood, sleep, and eating beh’—sensitive and thought to be responsible for alcoholic cravings - effects on dopamine rewards sys: may be responsible for pleasurable feelings ppl exp’ when drinking - alcohol results in release of endogenous opioids—our bodies’ naturally occurring analgesics—which may explain why alcohol has pain-numbing effects  LT effects of heavy drinking often severe: - w/drawal from chronic alcohol use typically includes hand tremors, nausea/vomiting, anxiety, transient hallucinations, agitation, insomnia, DTs - liver disease - pancreatitis - cardiovascular Ds - brain damage (i.e. memory and ability to perform certain tasks may be impaired) - at worst: Wernicke’s disease—confusion, loss of musc coordination, and unintelligible speech—or dementia—general loss of intellectual abilities  Whether alcohol will cause organic damage depends on genetic vulnerability, frequency of use, length of drinking binges, blood-alcohol levels attained during drinking periods, and whether body given time to recover btwn binges  Fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS) = combo of problems tht can occur in child whose mother drank while pregnant, including fetal growth retardation, cognitive deficits, beh’ problems, learning difficulties, often have characteristics facial f/s Statistics on Use  M more likely than F to drink and also more likely to drink heavily - 16% of M classified as heavy drinkers - 4% of F classified as heavy drinkers  Drinking practices vary across societies i.e. higher proportion of CDN than USA students drink alcohol, but higher proportion of USA students are binge drinkers Statistics on Abuse and Dependence  Abt 9% of CDN drinkers exp’ some level of problem w/ alcohol, w/ abt 3% CDN adults thought to be alcohol (d) in any given year  Among general pop’n, young (18-29), single M most likely heavy drinkers and have alcohol use problems  Outside CAN, rates vary widely - lowest reported 1.2% in rural villages in Taiwan - highest reported 14.1% in USA  Low prevalence rates among Asian studies - cultural diff’s can be acc’d for by diff attitudes toward drinking, availability of alcohol, physiological reac’ns, family norms & patterns Progression  Many who abuse/are (d) on alcohol fluctuate btwn heavy & abstinent  20% w/ severe alcohol (d) have spontaneous remission and dN re-exp’ problems w/ drinking  Course of alcohol dependence may be progressive for most ppl, although course of alcohol abuse may be more variable i.e. early use may predict later abuse  Alcohol dN cause aggression BUT may reduce fear associated w/ being punished and may impair ability to consider consequences of acting impulsively  Ppl w/ poorer executive cognitive f’n (planning/organizing abilities) are more likely than others to behave aggressively when intoxicated  Alcohol intoxication can also i↑ risk of being victim of vio’ Sedative, Hypnotic, or Anxiolytic Substance Use Disorders  Sedative = calming  Hypnotic = sleep-inducing  Anxiolytic = anxiety-reducing  Barbiturates = family of sedative drugs prescribed to help ppl sleep i.e. Amytal, Seconal, Nembutal  Benzodiazepines = used 1ly to reduce anxiety i.e. Valium, Xanax, Rohypnol, Halcion  Rohypnol has same effect as alcohol w/o telltale odour - now nn’d ―date rate drug‖  At low doses, barbiturates relax musc and can produce mild feeling of well-being - large doses: ~ to heavy drinking—slurred speech and problems walking, concentrating & working - extremely high doses: diaphragm musc relax so much as to cause death by suffocation  hence, common means of suicide  At low doses, benzodiazepines used to calm indvdl and induce sleep, and prescribed as musc relaxants and anticonvulsants - nonmedical use: first feel pleasant high and reduction of inhibition, ~ to alcohol effects - cont’d use: tolerance and (d) can dvlp - try to stop: exp’ symptoms like those of alchol w/drawal  Criteria dN differ substantially from alcohol Ds  Like alcohol, affect brain by acting on GABA NT sys’ and aar, when ppl combine alcohol w/ any of these drugs, synergistic effects (total effects reach dangerous levels) Statistics  Barbiturate use d↓’d and benzodiazepine i↑’d since 1960  4% CDNS use benzodiazepines, w/ higher rates among women, elderly and smokers STIMULANTS  Most commonly used psychoactive drugs in CAN Amphetamine Use Disorders  At low doses, can induce feelings of elation & vigour, and can reduce fatigue - however after period of elevation, come back down and ―crash‖, feeling depressed/tired  Reduce appetite (TF) some ppl take to lose weight  Prescribed for ppl w/ narcolepsy (excessive sleeping), and sometimes children w/ ADD/ADHD (Ritalin)  DSM-IV-T criteria: - significant beh’al symptoms (i.e. euphoria/affective blunting) - changes in sociability, interpersonal sensitivity, anxiety, tension, anger, stereotyped beh’, impaired judgment, and impaired soc/occupational f’n’g - physiological symptoms occur during/shortly after ingestion, including HR/BP changes, perspiration/chills, nausea/vomiting, weight loss, musc weakness, respiratory depression, chest pain, seizures, or coma  Severe intoxication can cause hallucinations, panic, agitation, and paranoid delusions  Tolerance builds quickly, making it doubly dangerous  w/drawal often results in apathy—prolonged periods of sleep, irritability, and depression  MDMA/ecstasy = ―just like speed but w/o comedown, and you feel warm and trippy like acid, but w/o possibility of major freak-out‖; first used as appetite suppressant in Germany  Ice = purified crystallized form of amphetamine; ingested t/ smoking; causes marked aggressive tendencies and stays in sys longer than cocaine, making it particularly dangerous  Amphetamines stimulate CNS by enhancing activity of norepinephrine and dopamine - help release of these NT’s and block their reuptake, thereby making more of them available t/o sys  Too much amphetamines—and (TF) too much norepinephrine and dopamine—can lead to hallucinations and delusions Cocaine Use Disorders  Use and misuse of drugs wax & wane according to societal fashion, moods, and sanctions  Cocaine replaced amphetamines as stimulant of choice in 1970s  Derived from leaves of coca plant, a flowering bush indigenous to SA  DSM-IV-TR criteria: a) recent use of cocaine b) clinically significant maladaptive beh’al/psych’al changes (i.,e. euphoria/affective blunting, changes in sociability, hypervigilance, interpersonal sensitivity, anxiety, tension, or anger, stereotyped beh’s, impaired judgment or impaired soc/occupational f’n’g) tht dvlp’d during/shortly after use c) 2/more of following dvlp’g during/shortly after cocaine use: tachycardia/bradycardia; papillary dilation; elevated/lowered BP; perspiration/chills; nausea/vomiting; evidence of weight loss; psychomotor agitation/retardation; musc weakness / respiratory depression / chest pain / cardiac arrhythmias; confusion/seizures/dyskinesias/dystonias/coma  In small amnts i↑’s alertness, produces euphoria, i↑’s BP and pulse, and causes insomnia and loss of appetite; effects short lived - paranoid common  Subtle deficits in auditory info processing in cocaine-exposed infants may help explain growing evidence tht fetal cocaine exposure is associated w/ subsequent lang deficits among children exposed while still dvlp’g in mother’s uterus Statistics  Use across most ages d↓’d in CAN in past 15 yrs  Most often snorted t/ nose, but may also be injected  Crack cocaine used by < 1% adults and abt 2% students  ―up‖ comes 1’ly from effect of cocaine on dopamine sys’ - enters bloodstream and carried to brain where it blocks reuptake of dopamine - causes repeated stimulation of next neuron—―pleasure pathway‖  Few –ve effects noted at first  Cont’d use: disrupted sleep, i↑’d tolerance (need for higher doses), paranoia, user becomes gradually socially isolated  W/drawal symptoms: feelings of apathy and boredom - vicious cycle Nicotine Use Disorders  Nicotine is a colourless, oily (l) that gives smoking its pleasurable qualities  Today, about 25% CDNs smoke  DSM-IV-TR w/drawal symptoms: depressed mood, insomnia, irritability, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, restlessness, i↑’d appetite, weight gain  Small doses: stimulate CNS; relieve stress and improve mood; high BP; i↑ risk of heart disease & cancer  High doses: blur vision, cause confusion, lead to convulsions, and sometimes cause death  Inhaled t/ lungs where it enters bloodstream - 7-19 sec after inhalation, reaches brain  Stimulates specific receptors—nicotinic acetylcholine receptors—in midbrain reticular formation and limbic sys’ (site of ―pleasure pathway‖)  May affect fetal brain, possibly i↑’g likelihood tht children of mothers who smoke during pregnancy will smoke later in life  Smokers dose themselves t/o day in effort to keep nicotine at steady level in bloodstream (10-50 nanograms per mL)  Potential explanation for finding tht nicotine i↑’s alcohol responding is tht simultaneous smoking may make drinking more rewarding in terms of effects on dopamine reward sys’  Linked w/ signs of –ve affect: depression, anxiety, anger - many who quit smoking but later resume report depression/anxiety were responsible for relapse - severe depression found to occur significantly more often among ppl w/ nicotine (d) Caffeine Use Disorders  DSM-IV-TR criteria: a) recent consumption of caffeine usually in excess of 250mg (i.e. more than 2-3 cups of coffee) b) 5/more of following signs, dvlp’g during/shortly after use: restlessness; nervousness; excitement; insomnia; flushed face; dieresis; gastrointestinal disturbance; musc twitching; rambling flow of thought & speech; tachycardia or cardiac arrhythmia; periods of inexhaustibility; psychomotor agitation  Most commonly used psychoactive substance (90% of all NA)  Aka ―gentle stimulant‖ b/c thought to be least harmful of all the addictive drugs  Small doses: elevate mood, d↓ fatigue  Larger doses: feel jittery, cause insomnia  Takes relatively long time to leav
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1,2 and half of page 3 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit