Psychology
Course
PSYCH 257
Professor
Uzma Rehman
Semester
Winter

Description
CHAPTER 5: ANXIETY DISORDERS ANXIETY, FEAR, AND PANIC  Is anxiety a functional or adaptive disorder? - 1. Characteristics of Anxiety disorders  Psychological disorders – Pervasive and persistent symptoms of anxiety and fear  Involve excessive avoidance and escapist tendencies  Symptoms and avoidance causes clinically significant distress and impairment  3 characteristics/ trademarks: - Behavioral – uneasiness, discomfort - Physiological – muscle tension - Cognitive – continuous worry  Anxiety is a future oriented disorder and characterized by tension while fear is more concern on the present and is more likely has a strong avoidance tendencies 2. The Anxiety Disorders: An Overview  Panic Disorder with and without agoraphobia  Generalized anxiety disorder  Specific phobias  Social phobia  Posttraumatic stress disorder  Obsessive-compulsive disorder 3. Panic Attacks  What Is a Panic Attack? o Abrupt experience of intense fear or discomfort o Accompanied by several physical symptoms (e.g., breathlessness, chest pain, like a heart attack) o Must obtain 4 out of 12 symptoms o You don’t have a panic disorder when you don’t worry having another panic attack  DSM-IV Subtypes of Panic Attacks o Situationally bound (cued) panic: e.g.: “ I panic when I go to parties.”; “I panic when I cross a bridge.” o Unexpected (uncued) panic : e.g.: “I don’t know when will I have a panic attack.” o Situationally predisposed panic: e.g.: 4. Panic Disorder with and without Agoraphobia  Overview and Defining Features o Experience of unexpected panic attack (i.e., a false alarm) o Develop anxiety, worry, or fear about having another attack or its implications o Agoraphobia o Symptoms and concern about another attack persists for 1 month or more  Facts and Statistics o 3.5% of the general population meet diagnostic criteria for panic disorder o Two thirds with panic disorder are female 5. Treatment  Medication Treatment of Panic Disorder o SSRIs (e.g., Prozac and Paxil) are currently the preferred drugs o Relapse rates are high following medication discontinuation o Benzodiazopine – high level of panic disorder, if you take it within 20 minutes, your anxiety will be reduced; addictive physiologically and psychologically  Psychological and Combined Treatments of Panic Disorder o Cognitive-behaviour therapies are highly effective o Combined treatments do well in the short term o Best long-term outcome is with cognitive-behaviour therapy alone 6. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: The “Basic” Anxiety Disorder  Overview and Defining Features o Excessive uncontrollable anxious apprehension and worry about life events o Coupled with strong, persistent anxiety o Somatic symptoms differ from panic (e.g., muscle tension, fatigue, irritability) o Persists for 6 months or more  Facts and Statistics o Females outnumber males approximately 2:1 o Onset is often insidious, beginning in early adulthood 7. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: GAD  Primary symptom excessive worry more days than not  Range of worries about daily life, things likely and not (not exclusively physical concerns)  More than 2/3 have co-morbid disorders 8. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Associated Features and Treatment  Associated Features o Persons with GAD have been called “autonomic restrictors” - o Fail to process emotional component of thoughts and images instead focus on cognitive components (what will happen next?)  Treatment of GAD: Generally Weak o Benzodiazapines – often prescribed o Psychological interventions – cognitive-behavioural therapy 9. Specific Phobias: An Overview  Extreme and irrational fear of a specific object or situation  Markedly interferes with one's abil
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 257

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit