Psychology (998)
PSYCH 312 (33)
Chapter 11

Chapter 11.docx

6 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Ernie Mac Kinnon

[ CHAPTER ELEVEN ] SPOKEN LANGUAGE DIFFICULTIES: LISTENING AND SPEAKING THEORIES SPOKEN LANGUAGE, READING, AND WRITING: AN INTEGRATED SYSTEM  When child exhibits lang difficulty in one form, underlying lang deficit often reappears in other forms i.e. lang delay at age 5, reading D at age 8 and writing D at age 14  By becoming familiar w/ sounds of lang (t/ early exp’s of stories, songs, and rhymes), children dvlp lang base for reading Forms of the Language System  Acquisition of lang skills follows general sequence of dvlpmt: (1) listening, (2) speaking, (3) reading, and (4) writing  Primary language system – oral skills of listening and speaking (since dvlp’d 1 )  Secondary language system – reading and writing  Input/Receptive skills – feed info into CNS; listening and reading  Output/Expressive skills – ideas originate in brain and are sent outward; speaking and writing  Students should not be assigned to produce output (i.e. oral report) before they have been exposed to adequate input exp’s (i.e. discussions, graphic organizers, reading) Language as a Communication Process  Consists of sending a msg—expressive language—and receiving a msg—receptive language  Understanding comm’n process helps teachers deal w/ comm’n problems of students w/ lang disabilities TEACHING LANGUAGE IN THE GENERAL EDUCATION CLASSROOM  Encourage students to use spoken lang during class session: - find areas of interest students want to talk abt - students can explain activity to classmates  Teach vocab related to area of study  Provide good lang models  Use role playing and acting out of stories HOW DO CHILDREN ACQUIRE LANGAUGE?  Imitation and reinforcement  Innate factors: implies tht child’s lang will naturally dvlp & flourish if child given stimulating lang env  Social factors COMPONENTS OF THE LANGUAGE SYSTEM Phonology  Speech sounds in a lang  Phoneme – smallest unit of sound in lang sys i.e. word cat contains 3 phonemes: k-a-t  Phonics – recognition, analysis, and synthesis of phoneme elements in written words Morphology  Meaning units in lang  Morpheme – smallest unit of meaning  Children unaware of exceptions to morphemic rule may over-generalize i.e. past of fight and go as fighted and goed Syntax  Grammar sys of lang; way words are strung together to form sentences  Active form of sentence—―Mother bakes cookies‖—is easier to comprehend than passive form—―The cookies are baked by mother‖ Semantics  Vocab sys or word meanings in lang  Student w/ semantic may understand concept but may not possess appropriate word to express it i.e. when referring to twins: “two girls with the same face” Pragmatics  Soc side of lang; how speaker uses lang in their env  Intonation – sound patterns of spoken lang, including pitch (melody), stress (accent), and juncture (pauses) TYPES OF LANGUAGE PROBLEMS Language Disorders vs. Speech Disorders  Speech disorders – abnormalities of producing sounds (i.e. articulation/fluency difficulties or voice Ds)  Language disorders – encompass entire spectrum of comm’n Delayed Speech  May not speak at all, or may use very little lang at age when lang normally dvlps  Otitis media – infection of middle ear tht can cause temporary hearing loss - even if hearing loss is temporary and mild, can lead to lang delay if it occurs at stage critical to lang learning in young children Phonological Awareness  Child’s ability to focus on and manipulate phonemes in spoken words  Successful beginning readers must be aware of phoneme sounds w/in words to appreciate words ―cat‖ and ―bat‖ differ in sgl phoneme sound  Can be taught and helped in reading  Effective in kindergarten and first grade; also helps older students, all SES groups, and bilingual students  Can be successfully taught by many diff method  Usually used for avg instructional session of 25min  Can be taught by classroom teachers used along w/ printed letters Temporal Acoustical Processing  Speech sounds come in too fast for children to recognize and decipher  Fast ForWord – computer program alters acoustics of speech, drawing out sounds and then speeding them up, by stretching out certain sounds and emphasizing rapidly changing speech components by making them slower & louder Rapid Automatized Naming (RAN) and Word Finding  Children w/ these difficulties cannot quickly & AT’ly name objects and are slow at recalling correct words Language Disorders  Acquired aphasia – adults who lose ability to speak b/c of brain damage from stroke/disease/accident  Developmental aphasia – children who have severe difficulty in acq’g oral lang  Receptive language disorders – difficulty in understanding lang i.e. may be able to understand sgl words but difficulty understanding a sentence using those words  Expressive language disorders – difficulty in producing spoken lang – can understand speech and lang produced by others, dN have muscular paralysis tht prevents them from talking, and do well on nonverbal tasks  Dysnomia – word-finding problem or deficiency in remembering & expressing words i.e. may substitute word (such as “thing”) for every object they cannot remember CULTURAL AND LINGUISTIC DIVERSITY IN ORAL LANGUAGE Nonstandard English  Students who have learned only a dialect Standard English, and lang itself, may find school work difficult English-Language Learners (ELL)  Students who use their native lang and not proficient in English  Child’s native lang provides foundation upon which English lang skills are built - students who use native lang effectively likely to acq and use English appropriately, but students who have problems in native lang also exp’ problems in English aslang  Effective practices for supporting ELL: - be responsive to cultural and indvdl diversity - help students transfer what is learned in one lang to other lang - encourage home-school collaboration - encourage comm’n among general and sp’ edu staff members Learning a Second Language  ESL method: - used in classes tht have students from many diff lang bg’s nd - students learn t/ carefully ctrl’d oral repetitions of selected 2 -lang patterns  Bilingual instruction: - used when all students from one lang bg - use native lang for one portion of school andlang for other  Sheltered English: - teaching children who have some proficiency in English - have students learn English more rapidly t/ instruction w/ printed materials written in English (typically used for content-area subjects) - native lang used for part of day  Immersion instruction: - students receive extensive exposure to lang - used in Canada to teach French to English-speaking children by enrolling them in French-speaking immersion schools Disproportionality  Issue: culturally and linguistically diverse students disproportionately enrolled in sp’ edu and placed in more segregated settings  To form more just and equitable society for all students, important for educational sys to correct inequities of minority and ELL students EARLY LITERACY AND ORAL LANGAUGE  Early literacy – child’s early entrance into comprehensive world of words, lang, books, poetry, and stories  Especially important tht CWLD and RMD be given abundant and rich literature env’  Activities to promote: - use word and sound games - encourage early writing
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 312

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.