PSYCH 338 (48)
Doug Brown (22)
Chapter 12

Textbook Notes - Chapter 12.docx

4 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Waterloo
Doug Brown

Power, Politics, and Ethics – Chapter 12 Learning Objectives: 1. Define power and review the bases of individual power a. Power: capacity to influence others who are in state of dependence i. Not always perceived/exercised ii. Does not imply poor relationship exists between the two iii. Flow in any direction in organization iv. Applies to both individuals and groups b. Bases of individual power: i. Legitimate power: power derived from a person’s position or job in an organization ii. Reward power: power derived from ability to provide positive outcomes and prevent negative outcomes iii. Coercive power: power derived from use of punishment and threat iv. Referent power: power derived from being well liked by others v. Expert power: power derived from having special information or expertise that is valued by organization 2. Explain how people obtain power in organizations a. Doing the right things i. Extraordinary activities ii. Visible activities iii. Relevant activities b. Cultivating right people i. Outsiders ii. Subordinates iii. peers iv. superiors 3. Discuss the concept of empowerment a. Empowerment: giving people the authority, opportunity, and motivation to take initiative and solve organizational problems 4. Review various influence tactics a. Influence tactics: tactics that are used to convert power into actual influence over others i. Assertiveness ii. Ingratiation iii. Rationality iv. Exchange v. Upward appeal vi. Coalition formation 5. Provide a profile of power seekers a. Institutional managers b. Personal power managers c. Affiliative managers i. Effective managers have: 1. High n Power 2. Use their power to achieve organizational goals 3. Adopt participative leadership style 4. Relatively unconcerned which how much others like them 6. Explain strategic contingencies and discuss how subunits obtain power a. Subunit power: degree of power held by various organizational subunits, such as departments i. Strategic contingencies: critical factors affecting organizational effectiveness that are controlled by a key subunit 1. Scarcity 2. Uncertainty 3. Centrality 4. substitutability 7. Define organizational politics and discuss its various forms a. Organizational politics: pursuit of self-interest in organization, whether or not this self- interest corresponds to organizational goals i. Self-conscious and intentional ii. Individual activity or subunit activity iii. Beneficial outcomes for organization b. Dimensions of organizational politics: i. Sanctioned means/sanctioned ends ii. Sanctioned means/not-sanctioned ends iii. Not-sanctioned means/sanctioned ends iv. Not sanctioned means/not-sanct
More Less

Related notes for PSYCH 338

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.