Textbook Notes (280,000)
CA (160,000)
UW (6,000)
PSYCH (1,000)
Chapter 6

PSYCH312 Chapter Notes - Chapter 6: Eval, Master Sergeant, Passive-Aggressive Behavior

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYCH312
Professor
Ernie Mac Kinnon
Chapter

This preview shows page 1. to view the full 4 pages of the document.
[ CHAPTER SIX ] SOCIAL, EMOTIONAL, AND BEHAVIOURAL CHALLENGES
OVERVIEW OF SOCIAL, EMOTIONAL, AND BEHAVIOURAL CHALLENGES
Social challenges difficulties in interrelating w/ others, in making and keeping friends, and in meeting soc
demands of everyday life
Emotional challenges feelings abt oneself tht may interfere w/ indvdl’s outlook on life and ability to learn
Behavioural challenges problems manifested by aggressive, antisocial, and ~ beh’
Often inter(d), overlap w/ each other, or are interrelated problems
Investigations of rel’nshp btwn academic underachievement and externalizing beh’ show tht students may
act out to avoid aversive academic tasks
SOCIAL CHALLENGES
Social skills skills necessary to meet basic soc demands of everyday life
Estimated tht 1/3 of students w/ LD also have problems w/ soc skills
Characteristic of students w/ autism, Asperger’s syndrome, and nonverbal disabilities
May lack sensitivity to others, have poor perception of soc situations, and suffer soc rejection
May exhibit wide range of poor soc traits (i.e. impulsiveness, low tolerance for frustration)
EMOTIONAL CHALLENGES
Relationship Between Learning Difficulties and Emotional Challenges
Instead of building SE, thwarted attempts produce attitude of self-derision and fail to stimulate parents’
normal responses of pride
(TF) parents may become anxious and disheartened, reac’ns tht can result in rejection/overprotection
Students may react by internalizing (i.e. conscious refusal to learn, resistance to pressure, quick
discouragement) or externalizing (i.e. acting-out beh’s, fighting w/ others, defiance toward teachers)
Characteristics of Emotional Challenges
Depression
Signs: (1) loss of energy, (2) loss of interest in friends, (3) difficulty in concentration, (4) feelings of
helplessness (occasional expressed t/ suicidal talk)
Lack of Resiliency
Believe in competencies in areas other than academic work less likely to be devastated by school failure
To maintain sense of self-worth, students need support sys from teachers, parents, families, and peers
- keeps failure to minimum, i↑’gs visibility of non-academic talents, skills, and competencies, and
emphasizes learning goals over performance goals
Anxiety
Feel events beyond their ctrl are happening to them
May cause students to miss class, to tune out, and to become disorganized
BEHAVIOURAL CHALLENGES
Suspension of Students
Engage in beh’s in attempt to be accepted by peers / impulsively engage in beh’ not realizing consequences
SWD have higher rate of suspension than youth w/o disabilities
If student suspended/expelled, IEP team must make manifestation determinationdecide whether
troublesome beh’ is part of student’s disability; if it is, services must cont’ for SWD
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version