Sociology
Course
SOC 101
Professor
Barry Mc Clinchey
Semester
Fall

Description
Socialization and Social Interaction Chapter 6 Becoming “Human”  2 basic approaches to develop personality o Personality: individual’s relatively stable pattern of behaviours and feelings o Biological approach  Our actions and feelings stem from our biological roots o Environmental approach  We are products of our socialization  Lifelong process by which we learn our culture, develop personality and become functioning members of society  Social interaction encompasses all of ways people interact in social settings while recognizing each person’s subjective experiences and intentions Nature Argument: Being Born You  Most of behaviour determined by genetic makeup o Sociologists believe nurture is more important  Women better at expressing emotions and remembering details  Men have 2.5 times brain space devoted for sexual drive, action and aggression  Sociobiology: science that uses evolutionary theory and genetic inheritance to examine biological roots of social behaviour o Humans evolved to secure survival of species o Argues: physical and behavioral differences we see in women and men are result f million years of natural selection  Evolutionary psychology: Darwinian inheritance can explain contemporary human behaviour o A relabeled form of sociobiology o Men ages 16 – 20 have sense of invincibility  Empirical support for overall assertion that human behaviour determined by genetics remain contentious o Limited support in social sciences The Nurture Argument: Learn to be you  Effects of Social Isolation o Children taught to do things o Social reality is constructed by people every time they interact with others Development of Self: Sociological Insights  Self: one’s identity, comprising a set of learned values and attitudes that develops through social interaction and defines one’s self image o Self image: introspective composition of various features and attributes that people see themselves as o Key component of personality Imagining how Others See Us: C.H.Cooley  Concept of looking glass self o What we think of ourselves is influenced by how we imagine other people see us  To be aware of oneself, one must be aware of society o Self consciousness and social consciousness are inseparable  “Imagine imaginations” o Sociologists could not hope to understand social world until they could project themselves into minds of others  See world as people did Understanding Others and Ourselves: G.H. Mead  Self is composed of 2 complementary elements o I: self that is spontaneous, creative, impulsive and unpredictable o Me: socialized element of the self  Think about how to behave so that you don’t embarrass yourself  Control spontaneous impulses of the I  Significant other: people we want to impress or gain approval from  Generalized other: compilation of attributes associated with average member of society o Represents individual’s appreciation that other members of society behave within certain socially accepted guidelines and rules  Role- taking: assuming position of another to better understand person’s perspective o Critical for empathizing with other’s situations Socialization and Social Interaction Chapter 6  Children pass through 3 stages: o Preparatory stage (birth – 3)  Experiences with interaction with others are to imitate  Positive and negative reinforcement; children develop I but me is forming in the background o Play stage (3-5)  Learn about themselves and society  Me continues to grow to receive positive reinforcement o Game stage (elementary school years)  Become proficient at taking multiple roles  Primary socialization: occurs when people learn attitudes, values and appropriate behaviours for individuals in their culture  Secondary socialization: occurs through participation in more specific groups with defined roles and expectations o Part time jobs, volunteer activities Development of Self: Psychological Insights Psychosexual Development: Sigmund Freud  People behave according to drives and experiences of which they are not always aware  Unconscious mind is full of memories of events, experiences, and traumas from childhood  Defence mechanism: ways in which individuals manage painful memories  3 unique biological drives and impulses o id: biological drives and impulses that strive for instant gratification  unconscious, selfish, irrational, unsocialized, and focused on instant gratification o superego: norms, values, morals that are learned through socialization  internalized social standards for given group and helps to form person’s conscience o ego: intermediary between id and superego that provides socially acceptable
More Less

Related notes for SOC 101

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit